Presenter '09: Chromeless Skin

Description:

This only works in Articulate Presenter '09.

This completely chromeless player was built by Tony Lowe of Webducate, a company which creates custom Articulate skins and also teaches aspiring Articulate skin developers how to make their own. This skin removes all signs of the usual Articulate player. Dave Moxon blogged about it here, and used it to create a demo presentation that look and behaves like an iPad. You can see the demo by clicking the link below.

• See this player in action here
  • After you unzip the download, just double-click the .artpkg file to install the player. When you're ready to publish your presentation, click Publish on the Articulate menu, and choose the player from the Player Templates field on the Publish window.
  • If you have questions about this skin or how to use it, feel free to contact Tony directly.

All Comments

Posted 1319 days ago

This looks cool. I can not get it to load properly on my system. It just comes up white & no buttons? Any help?

Jeanette Brooks

3,630 posts

Posted 1318 days ago

Hi Jesse, yes, what you're seeing is correct; the usual player elements that you would typically see when you publish a course from Articulate Presenter have all been removed - so that as the designer, you essentially have a blank slate. That is, you can create your own content and buttons (using images or shapes and PowerPoint hyperlinks) to look and behave however you want. The published iPad-like sample shown above is just an example of one approach you could use. Dave Moxon created that sample with images and shapes, as a way of showing what's possible when you have the flexibility of totally removing the usual player. You can read more about his sample by clicking on the link to his blog post in the description above.

Posted 1318 days ago

Thanks! I have got the idea now. Looks cool.

Posted 1231 days ago

Hi - I need help again. I am not sure if I am downloading this to the wrong place or I am just doing something wrong. I download the file and unzip it but when I try to open it it gives me an error message saying there was an error intalling this package. I also don't see it in the templates when I try to publish the presentation.

Brian Batt

5,068 posts

Posted 1231 days ago

Hi Marg,

It sounds like you may be using an out-of-date version of Articulate presenter.  The latest version is Update 8.  You can download the latest version after filling out the forms in the link below:

www.articulate.com/.../freetrial-step1.aspx

After installing the software, try to install the skin again.  If you continue to have issues, please submit a support case to us:

www.articulate.com/.../contact

Chris Bahns

3 posts

Posted 1189 days ago

FYI - this skin will cut off about 35 pixels on the bottom of your slides...

Phil D

2 posts

Posted 1174 days ago

Just downloaded the ZIP, but it's missing the .artpkg file. Am I missing something?

Brian Batt

5,068 posts

Posted 1174 days ago

Hi Phil,

See the link below on how to correct your issue:

www.articulate.com/.../kb

Phil D

2 posts

Posted 1173 days ago

@Brian Batt: Thanks! I figured it out shortly after I posted, but I appreciate your response.

Meg Johnston

23 posts

Posted 1148 days ago

This is a great template for our new product knowledge courses - thanks to Tony Lowe!  Using a black color scheme for the quiz also works well enough with this template.  I want to add an Engage interaction now - is there a way I can still use the IPad background?  I looked for a posting which removes the standard Engage skin, but didn't find one.  Anyone have suggestions?

Jeanette Brooks

3,630 posts

Posted 1148 days ago

Hi Meg - are you wanting to remove the Engage title bar? There isn't currently an option within Engage to do that, but one thing you could experiment with is inserting Engage as a swf (rather than via the Articulate menu), and moving the Engage interaction up past the top of the slide stage, sot he title bar isn't visible. David describes how to do it here: http://www.screenr.com/msp I haven't done that with this particular custom skin before, so I'm not sure whether that will give you what you're looking for, but it's worth a try.  Another option would be to try James' widget that removes Engage controls: elearningenhanced.com/.../engage-controls However that costs a bit, and you might want to ask him directly if you could give it a try with this custom skin (just to make sure it works properly) before you purchase.

Posted 1142 days ago

I'm just starting to play with this template and I noticed that my inserted engage interactions and quizes are getting the top and bottom bits cut off. Is there a trick to fix this?

Meg Johnston

23 posts

Posted 1129 days ago

Thanks for your earlier reply, Jeanette!  I have a new question in working with this template.  As the chromeless skin removes all buttons, I have set a hotspot (transparent box) over the iPad button and used "Insert - Action - End Show".  Unfortunately, this is not working and there seems to be no option to use the Insert - Hyperlink to close the show.

Is the "End Show" action not supported in Articulate?  And if not, what could I do instead?  

All help is MUCH appreciated!  Thanks.

Jeanette Brooks

3,630 posts

Posted 1129 days ago

Hi Meg, yeah the End Show trigger is not something that's supported in Presenter (here's a list of supported & nonsupported trigger actions: www.articulate.com/.../kb) There isn't currently an option within Presenter that allows the learner to close the browser window. However, here are a couple ideas you could consider: you could provide an onscreen message telling the learner they can close their browser window by clicking the red X on the browser...or another alternative, if you have Quizmaker, is to insert some Quizmaker content and define the finish action of the quiz to "close window." You wouldn't have to make your Quizmaker content look "quizzy" to do this... you could instead insert just a blank Quizmaker slide, make the quiz player transparent so that it doesn't look like a quiz, and design the slide to look however you want. Feel free to post in the forums if you need help with any of that. :)

Posted 1098 days ago

Good afternoon, i tried to install this aplication, but the system generate the follow message: there was an error instaling this package.

please, incated me how to do it.

thanks

Jeanette Brooks

3,630 posts

Posted 1097 days ago

Hi Gloria, it's possible that you're using an older version of Presenter '09. You can make sure Presenter 09 is up to date by filling out this page: www.articulate.com/.../freetrial-step1.aspx and then reinstalling. If you continue to have trouble, would you mind submitting a support case so we can help you out? You can do that here: www.articulate.com/.../contact

Marc Brown

1 posts

Posted 1070 days ago

This is great! Do we know if there are any legal implications in using the ipad image as a layout for online courses? I know our legal department is going to ask that question to me. If anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate it.

Posted 1052 days ago

I used this .artpkg to publish a course with no presenter controls. As suggested, my course uses hyperlinking to navigate slides, is there a way I can incorporate a pause button into this design that would allow users to pause narration and animations on any given slide?

Jeanette Brooks

3,630 posts

Posted 1051 days ago

Hi Michael - since this player essentially makes the player controls invisible, there isn't really a way to add back a pause button. One thing that might work for you, though, is to enable keyboard shortcuts on the player template, which would allow learners to use their Spacebar to pause/play the slide. You would of course also need to tell learners at the beginning of the course that they can use the spacebar for that purpose. Here's how you can enable keyboard shortcuts: on the Articulate menu, choose Player Templates and then click Player Controls. On the Miscellaneous section of the window, you'll see a checkbox for "Enable keyboard shortcuts." You can mark that and click Close. Then republish. As long as the learner's browser's focus is on the window that contains your course, they should be able to hit the spacebar to pause, and then hit it again to resume playing.

Posted 1051 days ago

Thank-You Jeanette! This is such a simple solution, and it works perfectly!

Jeanette Brooks

3,630 posts

Posted 1051 days ago

Awesome, glad to hear that'll work for you, Michael! I ♥ keyboard shortcuts. :)

Posted 1050 days ago

It would have been ideal to assign a space-bar keystroke action to a shape in powerpoint, but this works just as well as far as functionality is concerned.  I'll post up a link to the completed module when I'm finished, the Articulate Community has been invaluable!

Posted 1024 days ago

Hi I am using Articulate 9 and trying to install the package but getting an error while installing the pkg file. Anything I am missing in my current version?

Jeanette Brooks

3,630 posts

Posted 1023 days ago

Hello Sarayu, can you take a look at this knowledgebase article and see if it helps? www.articulate.com/.../kb

Posted 1023 days ago

Hi Jeanette, I tried the solution provided in the link you have mentioned but after I remove the .zip extension, I am asked to choose an application to open the file in. Just doubleclicking the .artpkg file did not work.

Jeanette Brooks

3,630 posts

Posted 1023 days ago

Hmm, it's possible that you might not be running the most recent update of Articulate Presenter. If you open PowerPoint and, on the Articulate menu, click Help and Support > About Articulate Presenter, it should say v6.3.1103.112. If that's not the case, you can download & install the latest update here: www.articulate.com/.../freetrial-step1.aspx If that doesn't help, would you mind submitting a support case so that a support engineer can take a closer look at what's going on? www.articulate.com/.../method.php Thanks Sarayu!

Posted 1023 days ago

Thanks for your response Jeanette. I noticed I am not running the latest update. Will get this taken care of before trying to install the skin.

Posted 371 days ago

Hi,

I love what I see, but not working for me.  I did everything and once I publish, I get a blank screen around my presentation.  Did I do something wrong?

Matt Darlow

4 posts

Posted 329 days ago

Will this template work in Presenter '13?