Managing Learning Content

Feb 29, 2012

Hello,  As the number of courses we offer and changes to procedures/new features increase, we're finding it more challenging to manage our learning content including Word documents, e-learning modules, etc.     A small procedure change may impact multiple courses and our knowledge management system.  Its challenging to determine which courses/documents require updating, when a procedure changes.  In a "dream world" we would be able to update once and somehow all the other documents/content related to the change are updated (or at least identified).  Does something like this exist?  How are you managing content in your organization?  Thank you for reading.

5 Replies
Richard Karel

Hi Mary Anne--this is a great question and I wish there was more discussion on this.  I was wondering--are you speaking of development files or completed content?  I'm always looking for better, more efficient ways to manage files used in authoring.  One such solution I've implemented is providing each SME with whom I work with a SharePoint team site (based on a template).  This allows central storage of all development files.

Mary Anne Delogu

Hi Richard,  Thanks for replying.  I was looking mroe for completed content.  We're in the process of deciding where to store our development content.  Right now, different people use different options.  Some store and work off their home directories, while others use a shared directory on the server.  We've just started to use Sharepoint and I've created sites for my projects on Sharepoint to store development content.  The big challenge is the content is not centralized and one change can impact many different modules that are worked on by different people within the team.

Natalia Mueller

This is only a partial answer, but maybe it will be helpful.

We have found it helpful to use identical folder structures for collaborative projects. Right now, several of us are working on SAP courses. On the company network we have one folder that we all copy and save to our individual computers every time we begin a new course. That one folder contains a mostly empty folder structure (picture below). This keeps all of our files organized the same way which is VERY helpful any time we need to get into archived courses for updates. The other nice thing about this method is we are able to keep all shared materials relevant to that project in one place. The most current version of the course template is in there as well as any project specific graphics or animations that someone else could use. A nice side effect of this system is that if I need to change or update something in one of our source files/templates, I do it in one place and I know that everyone will have that updated version for their next course.

I know this doesn't necessarily help you with collaborating on single courses, but maybe it will give you some ideas...

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.