Date

Course Length

Our company name and our logo

and be kind of "fancy" - so someone can hang it in thier workspace

Can anyone help me??  Thank you!!!

-Wendy

46 Replies
Joe Deegan

Wow Wendy! I just came on here to post the same question.  I need to create a certificate that the user can print when they reach the end of the course.  In my case it needs to say their name on it. 

I don't think there is any straightforward way of doing this in Articulate so I've been trying to think of a "work around" using Google forms.  I am thinking of creating a Google form that asks the user to enter their name.  I will embed this google form as a web object on the last slide.  After entering their name in the google form they will be taken to the pretty certificate with their name on it. 

Before testing this out I wanted to come on here and see if anybody has come up with an alternative way of doing this.  I'm not even sure if my Google forms idea will work.  I know that this is a common need so there's gotta be a "work around" that somebody has already come up with.

Wendy Cunniff

Oh - that's right - I also need the student's name!  I had not thought of using google forms - I did have someone help me with this at one time - and I did make changes to a file inside of quizmaker - maybe you are smarter than me - but I do not know how to edit this page as much as I need to   - but there is a file - I opened it in word and you can add elements to it that way - but I seriously still need help.  I will look for the directions and post if I find it - once you publish the course -  the file is located at -

name of course\data\swf\quizmaker_874\quiz_content

James Brown

FYI  - since this is a webpage, you should also be able to use some CSS (Cascading Style sheets) to add color and graphics to the certificate) but the screenr gives you a good basic start.  Here's a link for creating a certificate using Power Point. Wondering if you could prompt for the name and then fill in the name into the Power Point certificate. Nah, I think Joe's post is better since it's more dynamic and with a web page you can basically do anything.

Steve Flowers

I've built some custom Flash based certificates that pull student data from the LMS upon completion at the end of an Articulate presentation series. A couple of advantages to this approach. These offer a controllable print space that will print nicely (will look sharp if it's built right). You can also have this detect if the user hasn't finished the course and will not display the certificate (there's lots of data available through the LMS API). 

Will post some code or a template setup if I'm feeling squirrelly tomorrow

Steve Flowers

OK - Here's some AS2 Code that will pull your student data and completion data into a variable set:

import flash.external.ExternalInterface;
var getScore = ExternalInterface.call("parent.GetScore");   
var getStudentName = ExternalInterface.call("parent.GetStudentName"); 
var getStatus = ExternalInterface.call("parent.GetStatus");
If you use the getStatus value to check the status of the module you'll probably see a value of 4 if the module isn't complete and a 2 if the module is complete. Adding a conditional variable you'll be able to display a custom message or view for those that access the certificate before completion. 
The attached SWF shows how this works when deployed to your LMS (It's not pretty)
Wendy Cunniff

Well - I used the tweaked certificate provided from here -

http://www.articulate.com/support/quizmaker09/kb/?p=353

- but I am still trying to make changes.  I would like to add Length of Course - I may have to add it manually - not sure how to pull it from the LMS?

I have added some lines to make a border - but it is hard to get everything to stay where you want it...

any suggestions?

Lori Heithoff

To create my certificate, I followed the same tweaking directions. However, when I copy my modified report.html  file into the published quiz_ content folder, I also include a folder called quizimages containing two PNG images.  The images are the top of the certificate and the bottom of the certificate.  (Make sure your filenames match the ones in the script.) The images include a border that only does the corners, which gives it the look of a certificate.   The center of the certificate contains information generated by the quiz program.  I stripped out stuff I already had in the images. I put the length of course in one of the images. I hope it works for you. This what I have in //8 of the Results.html file following the word

var strTitle = g_oQuizResults.strTitle;

This is what I have in //9 of the Results.html file following the word

Cookie Rietveld-Kirwan

There is obviously a great need for a certificate that can be printed with the student's name. And it appears that the best way to have it done would be within Articulate, where all I would have to do is click "Create Certificate".

All of this script stuff is WAY beyond me :(

I ended up going the VERY EASY way... I created a certificate in a Word doc and loaded it as an attachment.  The student just has to enter his or her name in the "Insert Your Name Here" text box and print it.

I suppose a pdf with a field might be better, to keep all the other information on the certificate static, but this works for now... until I can decipher what the previous posts mean!

Leslie Adams

Lori - what were the dimensions of the images you used? I used your instructions (very helpful) to create a custom certificate, but the end result was a certificate that was too "wide" and I have to scroll left to right and top to bottom to view the entire certificate. Any advice?

Also, is there a way to modify the Date/Time so that it only displays the date and not the time?

Lori Heithoff

My top image was 8.499 inches wide by 4.527 inches high.

My bottom image was 8.499 inches wide by 2.98 inches high.

You asked about removing the time stamp from the certificate.  You need to go back into the report.html file to change the way the date is presented to eliminate the time. I had success (after several tries as I am not HTML fluent) by making changes in section //8 under the heading function FormatDate(dtmDate).

I deleted the lines referring to time - starting at line 2 (nhours) all the way down through the first strResult. I left the material dealing with the month, date, and year. In the line that sets the year, remove the word "at" from between the quotation marks (but keep the quotation marks with a space inside). Here’s what it should look like above the word SCRIPT.

//8. POINTS SCORED BODY: THIS IS THE POINTS SCORED FOR EACH QUESTION

document.write("

" + g_arrResults[nIdx].nPoints + "");

document.write("");

}

function FormatDate(dtmDate)

{

var strResult = "";

strResult += g_arrMonths[dtmDate.getMonth()] + " ";

strResult += dtmDate.getDate() + ", ";

strResult += dtmDate.getFullYear() + " ";

strResult += "

"

return strResult;

}

Good luck!

Tony Ludwikowski

Cookie Rietveld-Kirwan said:

There is obviously a great need for a certificate that can be printed with the student's name. And it appears that the best way to have it done would be within Articulate, where all I would have to do is click "Create Certificate".

I ended up going the VERY EASY way... I created a certificate in a Word doc and loaded it as an attachment.  The student just has to enter his or her name in the "Insert Your Name Here" text box and print it.

I suppose a pdf with a field might be better, to keep all the other information on the certificate static, but this works for now... until I can decipher what the previous posts mean!

I'm in this boat too. My bosses are asking me if I can have the computer fill the name in for the people. We have a sizable organization with requirements for mandatory training and they'd like to limit the ability for one person to pull up the certificate and just keep printing it with new names.

I'm wondering if there's a var I can pull that can fetch the first name and last name properties from the Active Directory account. Similar to going to the command prompt and running "echo %username%" but fancier.

Brian Batt

Tony Ludwikowski said:

Cookie Rietveld-Kirwan said:

I'm in this boat too. My bosses are asking me if I can have the computer fill the name in for the people. We have a sizable organization with requirements for mandatory training and they'd like to limit the ability for one person to pull up the certificate and just keep printing it with new names.

I'm wondering if there's a var I can pull that can fetch the first name and last name properties from the Active Directory account. Similar to going to the command prompt and running "echo %username%" but fancier.

Hi Tony and welcome to Heroes,

Instead of using the user name prompt to get the student's name, why not create a question that asks for their name?  If you put it at the beginning of the quiz, that would require the end-user to retake the quiz in order for their name to show up in the results.  Keep in mind that the name will only appear in the quiz results with the other answers instead of at the top of the results.

Larry Hieb

I believe it's safe to say that the request for a certificate within QM is one of the most (if not the most) desired features for a future upgrade. This request comes up over and over again. Articulate is a great company with great products so I'm sure hoping that their listening to their customers on this one. Looking forward to seeing it in the next upgrade. I would buy the upgrade for the certificate feature alone!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.