Articulate Presenter on Sharepoint?

Mar 13, 2012

Has anyone posted an Articulate module on Sharepoint before? I'm wondering if it is possible to have the employee click on a link and the module would run, instead of the employee seeing all of the individual files that is comprised of the published CBT.

I'm looking at creating a "CBT Template" and in this PPT it would talk about the recommended font sizes for the body/title, etc.

Reason for the creation of this is if the CSO/SMEs already know the important information that needs to be covered then it helps us on the research side and then allows us to have an idea where they were wanting particular information placed. If they can already provide us this information then we can come up with a "theme/design" quicker for them and get to work on it and as well as verifying if the information they provided is truly important or if they missed anything.

24 Replies
Simon Perkins

Are you referring to one of these:

1. hosting a published file on SP that allows another (networked) user to launch remotely?
  2. publishing a course with a link that launches another course on SP?

I'm guessing the former?  Can't say I've any relevant experience with SP but Dropbox has the ability to share files/folders (and launch them) remotely once shared.  Not sure if that helps in your case though ...

NOTE: I don't know how capable SP is of running a SCORM course (in terms of bandwidth/buffering/streaming etc) compared with a proper LMS or something like SCORM Cloud.  Dropbox is not that greatest at this but does work reliably.

Adam Truckenmiller

I'm going to have to say option 1...

I'm not worried about the module being recorded (so do not have to worry about SCORM or AICC). I was just thinking of different ways of presenting the standards that our department goes by when creating CBTs.

We have many SMEs that believe using 16pt font on the PPT slides, overloading the slides with info, and picture formats (if they already have images.  We are finally creating something to give them an idea of what to expect per slide and hopefully to help give us a jump start on brewing up ideas for the course.

I've seen people on this site create their portfolios by using Articulate Presenter so that got me to thinking that maybe I would be able to use Articulate for presenting the standards as well, rather than just using a boring PPT slides. I have played around with publishing an Articulate module by WEB at all so was curious if I could do that and have SP be able to launch the "CBT Standards" link.

Does that make better sense?

Amy Lins

Sure, you can host on SharePoint.  Here's how we do it:

Host the project:

1.  Create a portal site.  It is important that you create this site at the highest level possible.  We found that SP has problems if the file path gets too lengthy.

2.  Create a document library in the portal site you created in step 1.  You may have to get IT to help you create a high level portal site.  At our company, we had to have IT create it and then give us owner permissions to manage it.

3.  In the document library, create a folder for each CBT with a unique name.

4.  Inside each folder, place all the fodlers/sub-folders of the corresponding published Articulate package (using publish for Web in Articulate)

5.  The player icon will be in this main folder, that is what you will link to.  Right click and choose "copy shortcut"

Link to the player:

1.  On whatever SP site you want the link to display, select Edit Page, and then create a Content Editor web part (it's under the Media and Content folder). 

2.  In the Content Editor web part, type the text for the link

3.  Highlight the text you want to hyperlink

4.  Under Editing Tools, click on Insert, then click on Link

5.  In the pop up box, paste the URL of the link (you copied in step 5 above)

6.  Under Link Tools, Format, you will now see a little check box titled "open in new tab".  Click that check box.

7.  Do whatever other formatting you want (font, color, size, etc)

8.  Select the Page tab and then choose Stop Editing.

You cannot link via a Link List if you want the link to open in a new tab.  Although this seems like the logical thing to do, since the link list is a List it does not have the same properties and options as a Content Editor web part.

al bradford

Have you tried posting it using the Sharepoint learning kit?

• Its a free add-on
  • It's certified for SCORM 2004 (it also runs 1.2)
  • It allows you to assign content to different groups
  • It works great with presenter. 

http://slk.codeplex.com/

We have extended the open source portion of the basic web player for use in a custom lms. Works like a champ.

Just publish your content  for a SCORM 1.2 LMS, upload to SharePoint and assign.

al bradford

Once you add the SLK to sharepoint, just upload your completed package and assign your content to your users. 

A few caveats when using Articulate products with the SLK web player.

* Make sure that the ims identifier does not start with a number. The web player will ignore the package if does. Always start with a letter.

* Make sure your content is published with either Pass/Failed for content where you want to track failures or Completed / Incomplete for content where you are only concerned that it has been taken to the end.

What problems are you having?

asif raja

Amy Lins said:

Sure, you can host on SharePoint.  Here's how we do it:

Host the project:

1.  Create a portal site.  It is important that you create this site at the highest level possible.  We found that SP has problems if the file path gets too lengthy.

2.  Create a document library in the portal site you created in step 1.  You may have to get IT to help you create a high level portal site.  At our company, we had to have IT create it and then give us owner permissions to manage it.

3.  In the document library, create a folder for each CBT with a unique name.

4.  Inside each folder, place all the fodlers/sub-folders of the corresponding published Articulate package (using publish for Web in Articulate)

5.  The player icon will be in this main folder, that is what you will link to.  Right click and choose "copy shortcut"

Link to the player:

1.  On whatever SP site you want the link to display, select Edit Page, and then create a Content Editor web part (it's under the Media and Content folder). 

2.  In the Content Editor web part, type the text for the link

3.  Highlight the text you want to hyperlink

4.  Under Editing Tools, click on Insert, then click on Link

5.  In the pop up box, paste the URL of the link (you copied in step 5 above)

6.  Under Link Tools, Format, you will now see a little check box titled "open in new tab".  Click that check box.

7.  Do whatever other formatting you want (font, color, size, etc)

8.  Select the Page tab and then choose Stop Editing.

You cannot link via a Link List if you want the link to open in a new tab.  Although this seems like the logical thing to do, since the link list is a List it does not have the same properties and options as a Content Editor web part.

thanks amy, but unfortunately it doesnt open in a new tab, instead it ask if you want to download it. 

hey Al Bradford,,,i think the learner kit will be the best solution if its simple enough to implement it. is there a dummies guide somewhere should i put the oweness on the IT team.

Sarah McGowan

Hi all,

I am publishing in Web format. However I am not too familair with things like security for the files or inheriting from the parent.

We used to use Adobe Captivate and when these files were uploaded they just worked so I have never had to change any settings.

I followed these instructions, but when I test the plyer nothing happens.

Host the project:

1. Create a portal site. It is important that you create this site at the highest level possible. We found that SP has problems if the file path gets too lengthy.

2. Create a document library in the portal site you created in step 1. You may have to get IT to help you create a high level portal site. At our company, we had to have IT create it and then give us owner permissions to manage it.

3. In the document library, create a folder for each CBT with a unique name.

4. Inside each folder, place all the fodlers/sub-folders of the corresponding published Articulate package (using publish for Web in Articulate)

5. The player icon will be in this main folder, that is what you will link to. Right click and choose "copy shortcut"

I  will pass this over to a colleague who is more familiar with SharePoint so hopefully he can figure out what I'm doing.

The only thing that might matter is that this project was published with a trial version as we have not yet received our licence key. Maybe this makes a difference?

OWEN HOLT

That shouldn't create any problems. The temp trial version license isn't the issue.
Any chance you can take any screen shots at different points in your process? This would maybe help us see at which point the problem is created.

Also, are you using any special characters in any of the names of your files? Often, this will cause issues with sharepoint....

Sarah McGowan

Hi Owen,

I sent it onto my colleague who managed to solve it.

He copied the entire folder over and that worked. I think the problem I was facing was that I copied each individual item in the published output folder into SharePoint as opposed to moving the entire published output folder in one go.

Thanks for your help!

Mike Troutman

Hi,

When I load Web published Articulate module into SharePoint as stated above, I click on the presentation html launch in SharePoint to test, and I just get the spinning circle like it cannot find the files. I know it something simple. Can some shed some light on what I am doing wrong. Should this be a ZIP file?

Jose Tansengco

Hi Mike,

Just to recap everything that's been shared about hosting content in SharePoint, you should be able to host Articulate content in SharePoint Server. However, it won't work with SharePoint Online (the Microsoft Office 365 Hosted Edition) since it doesn't support HTML files.

If you're using SharePoint Server, check with your SharePoint administrator for instructions on how to upload HTML content. Depending on your version of SharePoint, you may need to switch to "explorer view" before uploading content, or you may need to "check in" content after uploading it. Your administrator will know for sure.

Some users have found that renaming the .html files in the published output to .aspx worked for them as mentioned by my colleague, but this is something we do not support so please try this at your own discretion. 

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Mike.

I'm glad Joe was able to give you some suggestions to start investigating with your IT Team.

I just wanted to add a quick note: it looks like your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove it by clicking ‘Edit’ below your response. Here’s a quick Peek 360 video if you need help.