Using an Ipad for course development

Apr 09, 2012

I am interested in using an Ipad to develop materials for WBT courses. I was wondering if anyone has been using one to develop anypart of the courses. I would like to know any apps that people are using for the following steps:

• course outlines
  • course sketches
  • development
  • Can Keynote do everything that PPT can do? (customizing images, clipart, animation, etc)
  • Any other ways that you are using your Ipad for WBT development

Thanks for any feedback!

10 Replies
Eric Nalian

There is an amazing app called 'DesignJot' that was specifically created for us Training folks!

I think it is a great tool for helping create courses.

• Courses start with an Analyze phase - It is an analysis that uses the 'ANSWER' method - it is a proprietary method that they developed for gathering background information
  • Design - Outline/bulleted list storyboards
  • Notes
  • Sketch

One downside to this program, you can only have one 'sketch' per project.  I like to draw out all of my slides before I even begin creating anything, and being able to do more of that would make this tool much more powerful.

http://www.allencomm.com/custom-training/design-jot/

Simon Perkins

Not a fan of Keynote here (nor any of the iWorks apps to be honest).  I find it very unintuitive and not something I would use for creating much beyond the most simple slides.  Not as easy to use or powerful as PPT IMO.  Having said that, there are bound to be several Keynote enthusiasts/experts that create some great stuff in it.  

Corey Mcelroy

I agree with previous posts.  The most "ID Friendly" app is definitely DesignJot.  As a previous poster noted, there is only one sketch per project so its main useage lies in the analysis and design phases.  I use Penultimate to create storyboards (You will need to buy the writing package from the paper store for $0.99).  Beyond that I also use Notability to review existing content to leverage or mark up courses that require updates.  If you specialize in a certain area (graphic design, illustration, web development, etc.) there may be additional apps that would be useful, but for the average ID charged with developing e-learning and/or live courses these are the three apps I have found most beneficial.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.