[E-learning in Healthcare] Monthly Discussion April 2012

Apr 27, 2012

Welcome to the monthly E-Learning in Healthcare discussion!

Wow, many thanks for the excellent responses and community discussions! Please keep sending your questions through, we have had great feedback on how your input is helping.

THIS MONTH'S QUESTION: The question to the community comes from Lynn Murphy. How does the community work with Mandatory Corporate Responsibility eLearning requirements?

Corporate Responsibility (CR) and Compliance is a broad subject in it-self, but we would appreciate your feedback. 

• How you deal with these repetitive CR mandatories?
  • How do you track what needs refreshing and when...

Thanks Lynn for your question!

If you have any ideas for future monthly discussion topics please send a private message to us (Doug Mattson & Nita Venter).

Take Care -

'Nita

Here is are the links for the previous monthly discussions:

[E-learning in Healthcare Monthly Discussion Feb 2012: Healthcare Images

[E-learning in Healthcare Monthly Discussion April 2012: Background Designs and Templates

8 Replies
lynn murphy

Thank you for posting this! I'm looking forward to hearing how everyone handles these topics.

After reading about the new Gamification book, I'm starting to think of how I could do a scenario based game. Most of our compliance training is the same material year after year. A review type game might work since it would "test" people to see what they have retained of compliance training and their understanding of it.

Has anyone done a game for this?

I'm so anxious to hear your ideas!

Thanks,

Lynn

Nita  Venter

lynn murphy said:

Thank you for posting this! I'm looking forward to hearing how everyone handles these topics.

After reading about the new Gamification book, I'm starting to think of how I could do a scenario based game. Most of our compliance training is the same material year after year. A review type game might work since it would "test" people to see what they have retained of compliance training and their understanding of it.

Has anyone done a game for this?

I'm so anxious to hear your ideas!

Thanks,

Lynn

Hi Lynn, I agree with the scanario/game approach. I was fortunate to attend one of Micheal Allens workshops and one of the demos that has shifted my approach to the compliance type training requirements was the scenario Supervisor Effectiveness: Employee Security module. Instead of trying to cram all the HR documentation within a learning environment, scenarios were used that would provide the context to the content, and when the learner needed to refer to a particular policy, the "Attachements/Glosary/Job aid..." would be linked to the module.

(You will need to create a login - but it's free)

Happy to chat further - Take care...'Nita

Jasmine O'Connell

I work for an academic medical center, so we have several types of regulatory required training (HIPAA, blood borne pathogens, infection prevention, general safety, etc.). These are required on an annual basis, so we review them on an annual basis. The updated courses get loaded on Jan. 1, and employees complete them throughout the year. I highly recommend getting all those required courses on the same schedule.

Dealing with repetitive content is more challenging. I'm trying to get our SMEs to be more flexible, but they often interpret (rightly or wrongly) their regulatory mandates as requiring a click-and-read course with locked navigation. When updating the courses, I do try to tease out if there have been any specific issues or problems around the topic that we can address. For example, last year we added some social media content to our information security and privacy course. The other thing I try to do is to rewrite and remove the "policy-ese" that comes from SMEs.

My philosophy about this kind of training is that it should either be a valuable learning experience or as painless as possible. Right now we're doing painless - I hope to get us to valuable in the next couple of years.

Jasmine O'Connell

One challenge I have with these courses (and many others) is dealing with lists. SMEs so often give content in the form of lists of items that they want learners to learn (what information is confidential, symptoms of a disease, criteria for an action, etc.). Does anybody have interesting ways to deal with lists?

Doug Mattson

Thanks Jasmine!  That is excellent information.

A few years back we were able to get the regulatory education rolled out on a consistent schedule.  That has helped alot.  That was one of the first phases of the project.  The other challenge was to align content across several of our organizations and make one standard course for each topic, rather than everyone having their own version.  The second phase was to add visual impact and interactivity.  My next goal is to slim down the content into only what is absolutely needed, which will hopefully be accomplished through identifying some performance measures first (which should have been the first phase, obviously.  But sometimes it's just not that easy, right?).  Then, my final phase will be to start using more scenarios to help better connect content to context.

We're taking small steps to help SMEs see the advantages.  It's our own contribution to change management.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.