How to restrict navigation in SL?

May 05, 2012

Hi All!

In Articulate Presenter you can restrict navigation so the user can only view the next slide after viewing the previous one (in its entirety).  In other words, we can prevent them from 'jumping ahead' to future slides when they haven't viewed all the previous slides.

Can this be done in SL?  I don't see an option to restrict their navigation. 

Thanks for any suggestions/help on this.

12 Replies
eLearning Development

Steve

Having played with this as part of the beta I had to learn that storyline is very different from AP. it is meant to be used in a less linear fashion so the sort of restrictions we used int AP no longer seem to apply the same way. Maybe That isnwherenthe new AP version still holds appeal over SL. Each has it's application depending on how you plan to deliver your material. I am enjoying the branching and interactivity allowing free choice of navigation in SL but it was a departure from my previous style of "watch this then do this" in the order I tell you to. 

Enjoy your time in SL.   The forums are an amazing way to learn.    And if anyone can make it work the way you want it to I am sure they will share it with you her. 

Tim

Nancy Woinoski

I find it interesting that so many people in this forum have asked about locking either the navigation and the seek bar. I've built a ton of courses over the years (including compliance courses) and have only been forced to lock the navigation once.

But Gerry is right, you can easily lock the navigation by hiding the default prev and next buttons and then creating your own navigation buttons.

Here is how one way do it:

1. Create a button ( the simplest way to do this is to  use the insert button option in SL ).

2. Select the button and then click the States tab beside the Timeline tab and set the initial state to disabled. The user will not be able to click the button when it is in this state.

3. Add a trigger to the button that says to Jump to Next slide when clicked.

3. Create a slide trigger as follows:

•      Action: Change state of
  •      On Object: button
  •      To State: Normal
  •      When: Timeline ends

The button and triggers have to be on every slide.

Now, if you want to use the default Prev and Next buttons instead of using custom buttons, you can prevent users from clicking ahead until the timeline ends by using variables.

joe smith

Normal 0 false false false oNotPromoteQF /> EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

HiNancy,

Thanks forthe info.  I’ll file this away in case Ihave to use it.  Luckily the course I’m developingwon’t be ready for about a year, so I’m hopeful that SL will be updated by thattime to have more options for restricting navigation.  In fact, given the numerous postings I've seen already regarding navigation issues for SL (restricting navigation, locking seekbars, etc.), my guess is that Articulate will make this a top feature to add in a future update.

Thanks again for your help!

Steven

Adam Sherritt

I am using Mark's link at it is working great.

If you have some buttons or hotspots for interactivity on a slide, you can assign a true/false variable to these as well.  Then adding these variables to your conditions, you can also require not only the timeline advance, but the interactivity to be activated by the learner as well.  In other words, "timeline" and "button1" must be "True" in order for the slide to be advanced.

Seems kinda complicated for most, but it is very effective if you work in a field that is heavily regulated and has a lot of compliance that requires specific training time, or required material.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.