Creating Freeform drag and drop with levels

May 06, 2012

I have a freeform game that I want to make more complicated as the player advances.

It's a drag and drop freeform game where you have to drag objects to their correct positions.

When the user gets it right, I want to add one more object and have them play it again. 

I want the different levels of play to use the same slide, I don't want to have to create a new slide for each level.

Semi functional demo at http://www.pauldrayton.com/uploadfiles/sl/vispoc/story.html. - slide 3 is the slide that I'm talking about - the user has to move the X and O

I tried using a layer to add the extra object, but then the Drag and Drop form doesn't 'see' the object in the new layer, just the baselayer.

How can I do achieve levels and add objects without duplicating the slide?

Use conditions or states and triggers to put all the objects on the baselayer and then show them incrementally as the user progresses?

If so, will the drag and drop ignore hidden objects?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

7 Replies
Phil Mayor

Hi Saffir

You can not do this using levels as you have found out.  what you can do is set the object initial state to hidden and when the user gets the first bit correct then use a trigger to set its state to normal.

You could use states and conditions based on drop correct and drop incorrect

hope this makes sense

Phil

Phil Mayor

Gerry Wasiluk said:

Hi! 

Just curious why you want to do this without duplicating the slide?  For a developer it may be simpler to do and keep track of with multiple slides--and you can always make things look to the learner like it is one slide.

Again--just curious. 

This is why I love you Gerry.

I always look at a problem and think, yes I can do that some way (even if it kills me).

You always think, why and how would I maintain that, that is where your years of experience count.

Phil

Gerry Wasiluk

Phil Mayor said:

This is why I love you Gerry.

I always look at a problem and think, yes I can do that some way (even if it kills me).

You always think, why and how would I maintain that, that is where your years of experience count.

Phil

Thanks, Brother Phil! 

Actually, it does come from personal experience.    In general, I often tend to over-complicate things sometimes and going back to the beginning and simplifying things often helps me get workable solutions.

Then again, your approach helps push the product and often come up with great techniques and solutions.  Both approaches are needed.

Phil Mayor

Had three experiences this week that has brought this sharply focus for me.

One, We have just delivered 90 scorm packages for studio that now need converting to storyline.  I hacked Studio to the limit to get it to work and now it is a nightmare to transfer to storyline.

Two, we recently migrated from moodle 1.9 to moodle 2.2 and one of our projects doesnt work right.  I have no ideawhere the files are to sort this out.

Three, I agreed to present my Periodic Table at a conference in a couple of weeks, giving insight into what I learnt and some tips and tricks.  Well to do this I need to break the project down and it is a nightmare.  It would have been easier to build it again than start some forensic analysis of what I did.

All my fault, so simple is better in the long run

Phil

saffir test

Wow, nice active support forum, thanks for all the replies.

My reason for not wanting to create multiple slides is that I'm poor at graphic design and will undoubtedly make changes to the layout and objects in the slide. Having to then update all the subsequent slides could be tedious.

Probably I should learn to use templates better....

Phil, I like your idea about states and conditions. Since I'm tracking their score and level, I can use that variable to display higher levels.

I'm not sure the drag and drop quiz won't try to score the hidden objects though.

Just tried it - looks like the quiz tries to score the hidden object, so that won't work. Unless I'm misunderstanding.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.