Using Storyline to create more than just drag and drops...

Charles Zoffuto

163 posts

Posted Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 6:04 AM  

One of the changes of eLearning is how to allow your learners to practice physical processes in a virtual environment. Specifically I wanted my learners to be able to practice using a fire extinguisher as part of their fire safety training, but most companies are going to balk at letting everyone in the office use up a fire extinguisher practicing on a simulated fire out in the parking lot. So this is what I came up with...

Fire Extinguisher Training - P.A.S.S.

I think this type of training has value base on the research of guided visualization for sports performance that shows thinking through a process helps build experience and confidence. What do you think?

This post has 0 verified answers

All Replies

Eric Nalian

572 posts

Posted Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 6:08 AM  

Hey Charles,

That is a really great example on going beyond a simple 'Drag and Drop'.  Great work!

User Rank Mike Enders

2,055 posts

Posted Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 6:26 AM  

Charles,

Very creative!  And a great use of Storyline.  If you're willing, I'm sure there are many of us who would love to see a Screenr on the creatio process (or heck, the story file would be cool too!).

Thanks for sharing this approach!

Mike

Simon Perkins

1,095 posts

Posted Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 8:34 AM  

Very cool Charles.  A really clever example of how SL's drag and drop component really does have scope to make content more 'hands on'.

I've just built one for a client but can't yet publicise it.  Hopefully soon.

Carla Stewart

28 posts

Posted Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM  

Fantastic idea, Charles. I too, am excited to take a peek at your .story project to see how the coolness came together.

Thanks for the daily inspiration!

User Rank Bruce Graham

7,252 posts

Posted Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 10:16 AM  

How absolutely cool was that

Wonderful idea - very creative, wonderful execution.

Bruce

User Rank Natalia Mueller

699 posts

Posted Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM  

Another cheers for Charles. What a great idea! I hope we get to see a screenr!

Chat54 .

66 posts

Posted Friday, May 18, 2012 at 5:16 AM  

Thanks Charles for sharing, very impressive use of storyline interactivity

Chat54

Sam Lincoln

64 posts

Posted Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 4:58 AM  

Charles, an excellent use of SL. What I particularly liked was that I failed to extinguish the fires and received instant feedback but I couldn't quite work out what I was doing wrong (I was not moving the extinguisher over the base of the fires). I had to work that out for myself rather than receive further instruction and that enhances learning. Unfortunately my hands got burned so I now need instruction on how to deal with that (hand under running tap etc but the soothing kiss of a good woman might be difficult to replicate even for SL!).

Great job with the demonstration and thanks for the explanation screenrs.

mia martin

10 posts

Posted Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 12:27 PM  

Hi Charles, 

I remember you showed us this story during the training you delivered. I tried the lik http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4162110/pass/PASS%20interaction%20only.story but I got an error.

Could please tell me what should I do?

Thank you!

Patti Bryant

180 posts

Posted Friday, February 15, 2013 at 11:22 AM  

Somehow I totally missed this when it was first posted - it's incredible! Thanks for sharing, Charles!

kate p

2 posts

Posted Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 9:17 AM  

Is there an updated link where we can view the PASS demo?  I saw it a couple weeks ago at Storyline training, and I wanted to show some of my colleagues. Thanks!

Yoni H.

9 posts

Posted Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 1:24 PM  

Thanks for sharing Charles, really awesome work.

None of the links seem to be working, I (and i know others on here) would love to see a demo and the source files.

Could you please let me know what to do?

Cheers

Richard Calcutt

133 posts

Posted Tuesday, February 04, 2014 at 4:44 AM  

I'm making a fire prevention/safety course right now - would have loved to have put something like this in. Unfortunately the client doesn't like the idea of people actually fighting fires...instead they're focusing on prevention. BORING!!

Great work though, like the concept.