Page 1 of 2 (31 items)

Start-to-Finish: My Little Pony Interactive

User Rank David Anderson

2,864 posts

Posted Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 5:57 AM  

Admittedly, I couldn't tell Twilight from Applejack two weeks ago. That's changed. Ever since my 3-yr old discovered the Little Pony characters, I feel like I've known them my entire life.

To show her that Storyline isn't just for grown-ups, I worked in some of her toys to create a simple, yet practical, interaction.

Published

Source files

Screenr tutorials:

1. Overview
  2. Customizing the slide master, inserting images and naming timeline layers
  3. Inserting slide layers and adding content
  4. Inserting hotspots, adding triggers and slide transitions
  5. Inserting and editing audio on slide layers

All Replies

User Rank Gerry Wasiluk

5,062 posts

Posted Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 6:45 AM  

Very nice.  Thanks for sharing.

(And very cute.  I just gotta show it to our young niece now.    )

User Rank Bruce Graham

6,628 posts

Posted Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 6:48 AM  

Excellent

What I REALLY want to know is what the big red button on yourr keyboard is for?!

Bruce

User Rank David Anderson

2,864 posts

Posted Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 7:03 AM  

Bruce Graham said:

Excellent
What I REALLY want to know is what the big red button on your keyboard is for?!

Bruce

That's the Heroes Hotline button. We used it a lot with @Gerry in the early days

Not buying it? OK. They're gaming keys for my http://www.daskeyboard.com/  

User Rank David Anderson

2,864 posts

Posted Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 7:06 AM  

Works great on the iPad, too. How do I know? Ellie's been playing with it for the past hour

User Rank Gerry Wasiluk

5,062 posts

Posted Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 7:12 AM  

I can see you and Jeanette (ala the "Green Monster") starting your own spin-off Articulate endeavor . . . 

Posted Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 7:18 AM  

Bruce Graham said:

Excellent

What I REALLY want to know is what the big red button on yourr keyboard is for?!

Bruce

That's the bring me more coffee and food button!

User Rank Phil Mayor

9,080 posts

Posted Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM  

Montse Posner Anderson said:

Bruce Graham said:

Excellent

Bruce

That's the bring me more coffee and food button!

I suppose that's what we in the UK would call the

"under the thumb button"

User Rank Nancy Woinoski

3,032 posts

Posted Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 12:58 AM  

I can't believe I'm saying this but you've made me a fan of my little pony. The voice really makes this special.

Save, I did notice one little odd thing when playing it on my iPad2. When I returned to the player library after viewing the demo, I can see the green hotspot outlines around the ponies on the title screen (the one with the big play button on it). 

User Rank Nancy Woinoski

3,032 posts

Posted Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 1:00 AM  

Sorry I meant Dave not save I have to figure out how to turn off this auto corrector. 

User Rank David Anderson

2,864 posts

Posted Monday, May 21, 2012 at 3:03 AM  

Hi Nancy!

I see what you're talking about. You'll also see it on the launch page when you first click the link on the iPad. That's the auto-generated thumbnail.

You can select the starting thumbnail from the Publish > Project Info window:

In my case, I only have one slide and the slide includes the hotspots. I could see where we would want to exclude invisible items from the thumbnail so I'll send that in as a feature request.

You can swap out the auto-generated thumbnail using one of your own by going into the published output and updating the thumbnail.jpg file:

Kristin Savko

217 posts

Posted Monday, May 21, 2012 at 7:41 AM  

Maybe I could make myself one of these to practice the Thomas the Tank Engine names. My two year old disapproves when I confuse Gordon and Henry! 

User Rank David Anderson

2,864 posts

Posted Monday, May 21, 2012 at 7:47 AM  

LOL I know what you mean. It's funny how little patience a toddler has for anyone who confuses their toys' names.

I think a Thomas interactive would be great

Posted Monday, May 21, 2012 at 7:54 AM  

David,

Can't wait to share with my Carson, who admittedly is still a bit too young. Is that your daughter's voice? I remember My Little Pony from when my daughter was a little girl, but don't remember enough..

Need to give that one a try. Thanks for including source.

User Rank David Anderson

2,864 posts

Posted Monday, May 21, 2012 at 9:29 AM  

@Becky - yah, she's 3 1/2. She wanted to "play ponies" but it was still work time, so I got her to help me with the project. Looking forward to the day she builds her first interaction in Storyline... look out 2016 Articulate Guru Junior Awards

Jill McNair

512 posts

Posted Monday, May 21, 2012 at 11:01 AM  

David,

This is so awesome.  Some day soon I can see your daughter telling you to move because it's her turn to use Storyline.    

Regarding lining up the ponies:

I love to line things up precisely, and I was thinking of a way that might make it easier to line up the ponies.  Do you think this would work?    

1. Instead of using the background that contains the ponies, place an image of the keyboard/desk area without the ponies onto the Master slide.
  2. Add the pony images to the Master slide, one at a time. Right click on each, select 'Size and Position', and write down the exact horizontal and vertical coordinates for each pony.  
  3. When placing the pony on each layer, go to the 'Size and Position' menu again and add the corresponding position coordinates.  Voila!  Perfectly precise pony positioning!

User Rank David Anderson

2,864 posts

Posted Monday, May 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM  

@Stephanie - Yup! She works for ponies, Legos, Olivia books and puppies. Those are her terms--they're negotiable every 15 minutes.

@Jill - This type of project is a little fussy since it's based off a flattened photo. If you used a tripod to balance the camera both without ponies and with ponies, your way would be ideal. Great idea!

Posted Monday, May 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM  

re the negotiation and the every 15". LOVE her voice. Do NOT lose that for posterity. Years ago someone told me to capture my son's giggle on audio, it was so delightful and infectious. Shoulda'...didn't. Agree with Stefanie...great voice talent.

Posted Monday, May 21, 2012 at 12:33 PM  

Bruce Graham said:

A fabulous tutorial - loved it.

My version

Bruce

LOL!!!!! That was hysterical!  My child is way cuter and she can do an English accent.  It's what happens when you read Beatrix Potter! Oh dear, I sense a challenge coming on... "Ellie! come here real quick!"

User Rank Bruce Graham

6,628 posts

Posted Monday, May 21, 2012 at 12:36 PM  

Montse Posner Anderson said:

Bruce Graham said:

My version

Bruce

LOL!!!!! That was hysterical!  My child is way cuter and she can do an English accent.  It's what happens when you read Beatrix Potter! Oh dear, I sense a challenge coming on... "Ellie! come here real quick!"

I cannot do a very convincing boys voice, but I am CERTAINLY up for a challenge

Bring it on....

Bruce

User Rank Gerry Wasiluk

5,062 posts

Posted Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 5:59 AM  

Bruce Graham said:

My version

Bruce

Game, set and match to the Wicked Wombat!  

User Rank David Anderson

2,864 posts

Posted Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 6:21 AM  

Bruce Graham said:

Bruce

LOLOL Nice rebound, Bruce. I watched it with Ellie last night. I loved it... but, Ellie hasn't spoken a word since seeing it... Docs think it's temporary and she should come around in a couple days. So that's good news.

User Rank Bruce Graham

6,628 posts

Posted Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM  

David Anderson said:

Bruce Graham said:

Bruce

LOLOL Nice rebound, Bruce. I watched it with Ellie last night. I loved it... but, Ellie hasn't spoken a word since seeing it... Docs think it's temporary and she should come around in a couple days. So that's good news.

LOL

I KNOW you only posted that when you did because you know I was at a conference and could not instantly reply!

Bruce

Crisa McCarty

49 posts

Posted Friday, January 25, 2013 at 5:35 AM  

Where else can I learn so much about a project and embrass myself laughing so loudly while alone in my cube? Plus, I can claim this is all work-related! Ya'll are the best!

User Rank Bruce Graham

6,628 posts

Posted Friday, January 25, 2013 at 5:46 AM  

Nice to see that again - I had completely forgotten about that!

Probably best.....

Hope Ellie's therapy costs were covered by Articulate...

Bruce

Page 1 of 2 (31 items)