Importing vector graphics

Jun 07, 2012

Storyline works with vector graphics (shapes, cartoon characters, etc.) but I can't figure out a way to import them. I can insert an eps file in PowerPoint and import into Storyline, but the vector is converted to a raster. Can it be done somehow?

74 Replies
Kevin Thorn

Hey Johh (and others)

Try this character. (attached) It's a WMF file. You can resize it to any size and crop it using the crop tool like an image. The character retains its vector clarity no matter what size and won't get *fuzzy* 

Just import it like you would any picture/image.

Still finishing up a few tweaks on an entire library (over 110 characters, poses, props, and backgrounds) of this style. A bit behind but hope to have them ready by next month.

Basically, WMF files are vector files. Although you can't edit them in Storyline you can retain their quality. If you have existing .EPS or .AI artwork, simply export them as a WMF or EMF file and then import it into Storyline for the same results.

John Black

Kevin,

Thanks for your help. Your wmf works fine. However, I opened an eps vector graphic in Illustrator CS5, exported it as a wmf, and inserted it as a Picture in Storyline. It converted it to a raster, as before. I wonder what I'm doing differently that causes it to fail. I attached the files for you to evaluate. (BTW, I'd already tried a emf and it didn't work either.)

Kevin Thorn

Hey John,

I converted your Camel.eps to both .WMF and .EMF formats. While they both work fine, the .WMF format works better in Storyline when enlarging it to max scale. I took it up to 2000 x 2150 and didn't lose any of the line quality. 

Attached are two files. One with the background as your EPS file, and one with just the Camel.  This forum only allows one attachment per post. Here's the one with the background...

Roger Mepham

I've always used Adobe Fireworks for image editing, it has great shadow and bevelling tools plus it plays well with both vector and bitmap images - its ideal for screen based graphics editing. The native PNG output imports properly into storyline and you get transparency and access to shadow, glow and mirror effects, or just copy and paste from Fireworks to Storyline

Kevin Thorn

Hey Steve,

If you have Adobe Illustrator, follow these steps: 

1. Open, Import, or Create your vector graphic
  2. Choose File > Export...
  3. Format: Windows Metafile (WMF) - or- Enhanced Metafile (EMF)
  4. Save to a location you can have access from Storyline
  5. In Storyline: Insert > Picture > [select your new WMF or EMF file]

You can import the same file into PPT, too. While you can't edit the vector file in Storyline, you can edit it in PPT. Once in PPT:

1. Select the image
  2. Ungroup > Say Yes > Ungroup again
  3. All of the individual shapes are not editable to change colors, size, or delete.

Hope that helps.

Pam Richmond

Roger Mepham said:

I've always used Adobe Fireworks for image editing, it has great shadow and bevelling tools plus it plays well with both vector and bitmap images - its ideal for screen based graphics editing. The native PNG output imports properly into storyline and you get transparency and access to shadow, glow and mirror effects, or just copy and paste from Fireworks to Storyline

Just a note that it appears that Fireworks PNGs do retain their transparency and effects, but they are not treated as vectors once copied and pasted into Storyline.  That is, when I paste the vector shape from Fireworks into Storyline and enlarge it, the edges become pixelated. The easiest solution in this case is to make the graphic as large (or larger than) needed in Fireworks before importing.  I am a big fan of Fireworks and have been using it for years for web development.  Glad to hear I can use it with Storyline, as I'm just getting started with Storyline.