First storyline presentation

Jun 12, 2012

Hi All,

I am still very new to elearning and course development but have come to know and love this community for its great support, feedback and occasional belly laugh (still chuckling at "my little soldier").

With great trepidation but the knowledge that you will be gentle with me (I hope!), I post my first Storyline presentation for the considered opinion and feedback of the articulate community.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/84464509/website%20promotion%20published%20output/story.swf

Many thanks in advance

IJ

4 Replies
Phil Mayor

Hi Ingrid

Its always brave to ask fr feedback.

Thsi link will work better https://dl.dropbox.com/u/84464509/website%20promotion%20published%20output/story.html

I dont think you need the how to use this section to be part of the course, you could offer it on the home page.  I think it should be an option but not forced on the user.

On the PRN consulting slide, I dont like the way it switches to a version of atsumi floating in the air with half a body, makes you realise she is just a group of images.  This happens a lot throughout.

In the speech bubble it may better to show icons that relate to each thought instead of atsumi, so I can see at a glance what you are going to save me.

I would also add visited states to your buttons, so I can see where I have been.

TBH I was a little lost at times, possibly because of the navigation pane and buttons on the slide.

Overall its a good starting point, well done

Phil

Ingrid Johnston

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the constructive, and incredibly prompt feedback (and link fix) - much appreciated.

Hadn't thought of using icons/images in the thought clouds, great idea.  Making the "how to use" section optional is also much more logical.

Phil Mayor said:

On the PRN consulting slide, I dont like the way it switches to a version of atsumi floating in the air with half a body, makes you realise she is just a group of images.  This happens a lot throughout.

Now that I look at it again, I can see your point; will see if I can fix by making sure I use cropped version of full image that goes to the edge of the slide to avoid the "floating" appearance.

Phil Mayor said:

TBH I was a little lost at times, possibly because of the navigation pane and buttons on the slide.

Yes, I can see how that would happen.  I was trying to make sure the learner can go back to a slide if they want to via the navigation pane, but maybe this isn't necessary? 

Or there is a less confusing way to do it?

Again, many thanks - nothing ventured, nothing gained!

IJ

Eimear O Neill

Hi Ingrid,

Fair play to you for putting your elearning baby out into the community! I'll be gentle - promise!

I agree with all of Phil's observations..what you have done is a great starting point. And here are some more points to consider

• I liked your navigation instructions- clean and to the point. Yes they could be optional.
  • Tighten the nav for the "What is prn..." slide it could be set up  like the Website page..so folks are sent back to main button slide when done with a choice (and with visited state as Phil mentioned)...as I got lost a few times during this stage. One minute I was reading about Neil and then I was straight into Website button choices ..I had to work to get back to read about Ingrid. Learners shouldn't feel they have to work just to get information. Make it super easy for learners to view as much as possible  - liked you did with Website slide, you looped back to all choices after each choice was completed. Nice one!
  • Reduce the ratio of narration to screen text. To reinforce messages or key points you could animate key words/images onto screen while the narrator is speaking. Keep the visual learners engaged and focused on key points and it will also act as reinforcement for other learners. I always find commoncraft.com inspiring for ideas and reminding us we are telling and showing a story! Sell it Ingrid!!!
  • Strong narration content throughout.
  • Reduce the reliance on the one character Atsumi. When talking about the elderly, show an elderly person with medication bottle or demonstrating a certain feeling you want to highlight etc This helps the learner relate to THEIR audience more.
  • The background of screen (blue) is hiding the website heading. It was difficult to read the inserted website screenshot..so I would make it bigger - even fill the screen..no need for wasting that valuable real estate on a background color, right!
  • Increase the contrast between background and buttons. The colors are too similar - Don't hide them away - give it more pop factor by having the colors contrast more. 
  • Buttons on website Slide - consider combining meaningful icons with the title text. .

This is a firm start Ingrid!! Worth the venture on my end

Thanks for sharing and being brave...

Eimear

Ingrid Johnston

Hi Eimar,

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide such helpful feedback - greatly appreciated.

So many great ideas, it has really inspired me to get back in there and do some revision - terrific to have a fresh set of eyes look at it (mine had become somewhat jaded after the nth time through!)

Icons, tweaked colour scheme and navigation as well a visit to commoncraft.com and I'm on my way!

With humble gratitude,

IJ

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.