Publishing on wikispaces or a wordpress site

Jane Reimers

8 posts

Posted Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 6:28 AM  

I want to use one of my Storyline presentations as part of a personal portfolio, which I am currently compiling on a wikispaces website. Can an Articulate Presenter or Storyline presentation be shared on either of those types of websites? Without a regular website to which I can FTP the project, how should I share it? The projects are usually too large for regular e-mail. Thanks for any advice!

This post has 0 verified answers

All Replies

User Rank Steve Flowers

4,125 posts

Posted Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 7:27 AM  

Hi, Jane - 

You'll want some kind of space to upload these to. One of the best options I've found is using Amazon Web Services (AWS) buckets. For your scale it'll more than likely be free. You need to use a heap of space to get into paid territory.

http://aws.amazon.com/free/

You can then link to these packages from your Wiki. It'll seem seamless to your users. If you have your own wordpress site, this is a handy plug-in written by Articulate's own Brian Batt on his own time

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/insert-or-embed-articulate-content-into-wordpress/

You can't use this on wordpress.com hosted sites since wordpress.com free sites don't allow plugins.

Steve

User Rank Gerry Wasiluk

5,707 posts

Posted Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 8:03 AM  

Hey. Steve!  I use AWS also.

Like it a lot except for one thing.  One course with a local web object doesn't work on the page.  You ever see that there?

Gayla Keesee

90 posts

Posted Saturday, August 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM  

Steve:

Can you tell me more about how to use AWS? I use PBWorks for my courses and for my portfolio. What I've been doing is simply uploading the zip file and having users download and extract. This is time-consuming and doesn't show off my examples well. I am not necessarily a techie when it comes to FTPs and servers. My experience is on the graphics/instructional design end.

User Rank Peter Anderson

10,113 posts

Posted Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 9:40 AM  

Hi Gayla

When you publish your Articulate content for web, you'll need a web server or a web hosting service to distribute your content online. If you don't have access to a web server, you can sign up for a free Amazon S3 account. Then simply upload your published output to your account, and give your users the link to your online course.

Amazon S3 offers free hosting service with generous usage limits. However, if you go over these limits, you'll be charged a graduated fee.

To learn more about Amazon S3 or to sign up, click here.

Dropbox is another great and free option:

Gayla Keesee

90 posts

Posted Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 2:53 PM  

Peter:

Thanks for the reply. I currently use Dropbox for file storage, but that just allows me to link to the .zip file. I tried clicking to open the player, but it just brought up a new window/tab in Firefox. If I set the player option to have a Launch in new window link, would that work? Or am I stuck having viewers download the file, extract all, and then clicking the player link?

Gayla Keesee

90 posts

Posted Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 2:58 PM  

Ah, I replied to your reply without logging in and seeing that you provided a great video, which didn't show up in my e-mail. This is great. Thanks a lot.

Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM  

Hi,

Could someone please help me! I've looked at this video, which is very straight forward, and I've copied every step diligently. However all I get is an empty screen when I try and play it. I've tried it on my PC with explorer and the Mac on Safari, but nothing! All of the files that should be there are there so I'm beyond puzzled. Can anybody please help?

Thanks so much

User Rank Peter Anderson

10,113 posts

Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 2:01 PM  

Hi Sinead, welcome to the community!

Are you looking to store your files on Dropbox specifically, or just looking for a way to share your published course?

If you're looking for a temporary solution, there's nothing better than Tempshare

This article has lots of other more in depth options for you also. 

Hope that helps :)