Help with Drag and Drop states

Aug 22, 2012

I'm making a drag and drop and I'm not understanding the states for the drags.

There seems to be a blueish glow added to my drags. I didn't add it and I don't want it, but can't find where it is coming from. How do I change/get rid of it?

Drag over. I would assume this is the state for when i drag over any target/hot spot. But it only seems to happen when I drag over the correct target. Is that how it is supposed to work.

Drop correct. I would assume this is what happens when I drop the drag on a correct target. But it doesn't take effect until I select the next drag — it remains on selected. Is that correct? I have it set to "return item to start point if dropped outside a correct drop target." To me that would mean, "evaluate this when it is dropped." If SL knows that it is dropped correct/incorrect I would want my user to also know at that moment. 

I think the problem with drop correct is because I have a Selected state? Seems to go away if I remove that.

11 Replies
R Rothrock

So by getting rid of most of the states (like Selected) I was able to get rid of most of the problems. I'm still left with 2.

One. Sometimes there is a blue glow added to the Drag Over (?) state. Sometimes not. Still can't figure out where that is coming from.

Two. Drag Over seems to be only Drag-over-the-correct-drop-target. Is that correct? Is there a way to fix that.

[update on one] I found that somehow some of my drags had a Drag Over > Drawing Tools Format > Shape Effects > Glow set. I didn't set it. And I don't know why only some of them have it and some don't. So I guess question one becomes, "Why?"

Jill McNair

Gonzalo,

See if this screenr helps https://player.vimeo.com/video/204932579. The file is attached below.  This addresses only Storyline's built-in states - of course you can add any custom state that you want.

Regarding the question posed above: I know that this post is several months old, but I looked at the file, and on many of the Selected and Drag Over states do indeed have blue glows on them.  Not sure how they got there or why they do not show when you are looking at them in the States panel, but they are there nonetheless and can be turned off as mentioned above: Drawing Tools Format > Shape Effects > Glow.  I have found Storyline sneaking in some glow states - especially when adding Selected states, but you can always turn it off - but you have to turn it off on every state.  Hopefully you were able to fix this months ago!

Gonzalo Rosetti

Thank you Jill!

I guess I messed it up a little, but I managed to make it work. Your solution is simpler.

I needed to

1. add another change of state (to hidden) so the correct item disappeared  when dragged onto the target object,
  2. let a draggable item be dropped on more than one target object.

Any ideas how to make the course to jump to a new slide after all the items where dropped correctly?

Jill McNair

There is a setting in the drag and drop question options that you can select: "Return items to start point if dropped outside." You can further select "any drop target" or "a correct drop target." When you select this option, the state of the drag item is changed back to it's normal state.

Hope this works for the layout of your question! If not, post again, but I think we'll need more details about your slide.

Jason Johnson
Jill McNair

There is a setting in the drag and drop question options that you can select: "Return items to start point if dropped outside." You can further select "any drop target" or "a correct drop target." When you select this option, the state of the drag item is changed back to it's normal state.

Jill, I've played with all of those settings and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I do have that setting enabled that you refer to: "return items to start point if dropped outside". They visibly return to the start point but if you examine the state, they don't technically change to the "normal" state as far as the triggers are concerned.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.