Engage interactions into Storyline

Sep 11, 2012

Hello,

I have moved Engage interactions into my Storyline project but they are not showing up when I publish the project. I can edit them and I see them within the storyline project, but they disappear when I publish. All I see is a blank slide.

18 Replies
Peter Anderson

Hi Marsha!

How did you publish the course? Be aware that Engage interactions in Storyline work as expected in the default Flash content, but they're not supported in HTML5 or the Articulate Mobile Player app for iPad. For a full comparison of Storyline's Flash, HTML5, and Articulate Mobile Player output, click here:

http://www.articulate.com/support/kb_article.php?product=st1&id=1568gg1ayot2

If you're having trouble with the Flash version, please feel free to submit a case of your own. Thanks!

dar maxwell

I am publishing without checking the html 5 or mobile choices. I have tried to play it back in IE and Firefox...no luck. I have even moved the interactions to be in the same folder as the storyline file (shouldn't make a difference, but I am trying everything).

This issue is holding up a large deadline project (aren't they all?) so any help is welcome.

I have tried the .swf file also to no avail.

I submitted the case and sent the file and received the same info I found online about how to import the engage interactions. I have successfully imported the interactions and see them in the storyline project and can open them from within the storyline project, but I get blank slides in the published product.

dar

Louis Spencer

Ok got it - its a browser setting.

Publish the file, view it, then right click where the interaction should be.

Then select:

Global settings / advanced / trusted location settings

Then browse to the drive your published files are located.

You'll need to do this whenever you move the files. Not sure how this works when running from an LMS..

dar maxwell

All,

I received the most helpful tip from Articulate Support:

Hi Dar,

An Engage interaction when inserted in Storyline is considered a Web Object. Therefore it will not play when viewed locally due to some Flash Player security issues.

Try to upload your output using this temporary web server and view it in your browser:

http://tempshare.articulate.com/

Web Objects should play when the kpage is viewed online from a server.

My Engage interactions play when I load the project and access it from a server, but they are a bit slow. I am going to rebuild the Engage interactions as Storyline interactions and see if it makes sense.

dar maxwell

ALL,

The problem was that there were two flash applications clashing. When the latest upload happened, the older version was not deleted. As soon as I uninstalled the old flash reader I was able to see all the web objects in the draft publication.

Peter, please share this if you can because I have heard from others who are having this problem.

dar

hipocampus EaD

We're with the same difficulty reported by Dar Maxwell. We produce content and engage using imported into the storyline, as we have done countless other times. The content of this engage in so storyline, can be viewed, but it does not appear at the time of publication. We are not publishing content in html5 and already tested in different browsers.

who know how to solve, please help us.

grateful

Debora

hipocampus EaD

Debora Alavarce said:

We're with the same difficulty reported by Dar Maxwell. We produce content and engage using imported into the storyline, as we have done countless other times. The content of this engage in so storyline, can be viewed, but it does not appear at the time of publication. We are not publishing content in html5 and already tested in different browsers.

who know how to solve, please help us.

grateful

Debora

Peter Anderson

Hi Mary Anne, 

We're not aware of any specific issue with Engage content within Storyline not being able to be viewed. If you're experiencing trouble getting an Engage interaction to play in your Storyline course, it's likely a browser security setting since Engage interactions are treated as web objects, or some other third-party interference. If you'd like us to take a closer look at your specific case, we'd be happy to do so. You can open a ticket and send us your .story file here. Thanks!

Peter Anderson

Hi Mary Anne, 

Are you using Chrome, by any chance? When viewing published Articulate content on your local computer with the Google Chrome browser, you may find that some features don't work as expected.

A bug in the integrated Flash Player for Google Chrome (i.e., the Pepper plugin) that was released on July 31, 2012 does not support trusted locations. As a result, communication between the Flash Player and your Articulate content is denied when the content is viewed locally, which causes various features in your content to fail.
This article has more information. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.