Microphones

Sep 19, 2012

Hi!

As a product trainer for an electric gearmotor company, I have begun to develop courses on the products and content that is needed to undertsand to configure our products to match customer applications. I am wondering if anybody has a recommendation for a good microphone to purchase to add voice to my courses. Also if anybody has any good recording voice types I would love to hear them. Thanks!

26 Replies
Dale Hargis

For microphones, there are so many choices.  The first question is, do you need to be mobile, or will you keep it in the same place all the time?

For mobile, many people like the Samson GoMic.  It's cheap, it's good, and very portable.

If you're staying in the same place, a good desktop USB microphone would be good.

Regardless, here are some tips from me (for what they're worth):

1: Get a pop filter.  They're not expensive and they make a huge difference.  Without it, hard consonants like P's, B's, or D's could overload the capsule on the microphone.

2. Get a shockmount.  A shockmount is really just a set of elastic bands that work to isolate the microphone from its stand.  Without it, the microphone can pick up vibrations through the stand.  That means any bump on your desk, rumbling of big trucks going by, or even someone walking by in a hallway can be picked up.

3. Dampen your room.  Ever heard anyone do narration and you could tell just by listening what kind of room they were in?  You want to eliminate that as much as possible so you need some way to dampen the sound and keep it from echoing in the room.  Some people use small, portable isolation booths made from collapsible storage boxes and egg crate foam. They're good, but not comfortable to speak into.  Really, you can use just about anything that will absorb the sound.  Make your own isolation booth with some plywood covered in old carpet, hang some blankets from the ceiling to make a sound tent, or if you're at home, step into your walk-in closet full of clothes.  You'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

4. Don't stand so close...  A lot of people think you have to get right up on a microphone to make it sound good, but usually being six inches to a foot away gives you a better sound and doesn't overload the capsule in the microphone.

Just a few tips for what they're worth.

Dale Hargis

OWEN HOLT

I've used a Blue Yeti USB mic in the past but just shipped it off to a coworker in Europe to use. I believe I paid about $150 USD but noticed it today at a cheaper price here: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BALYETI
In addition to the tips listed above, I would add this:

Get a good sound editing software program. I use Adobe Audition because it was bundled with a number of other programs I purchased as a group. I've heard good things about Audacity as well.

John  Ehle

Hi Dale!

I really appreciate the info. Thank you for taking the time.

2 quick questions:

I would probably need to do the voice at home or on the weekend (too many people in our office and building, no quiet space), what do you mean when you say mobile? Having to use it in different places and not being able to have it set up all the time in one place then yes.

Is $100 to much for a microphone to be used for these adding voice to course projects?

Thanks!

Thanks Owen I did not not think of sound editing software

Daniel Brigham

John:

Most decent mics go from $100 to $200. If you want what they call a "home studio microphone," you are looking at $250 and up. Of course, you can always buy used equipment. Plenty of that around.

More important than your equipment, though, is your skill as a narrator. A mediocre lead guitarist with a Les Paul still sounds like a mediocre guitarist. Listen to the pros and read their books--James Alburger, Harlan Hogan et al.

As an ID who does voiceover, I'm learning, too. Here's a link to my portfolio page (voiceover examples are the third one down). Listen for what you don't like, and what you can do better.  Best of luck, and feel free to PM with any questions.  

http://www.brighamcommunications.com/blog/portfolio/

Dale Hargis

Some people are out on the road a lot or in remote locations and need a microphone that's easy to setup and then store away.  So, that's what I meant by mobile. 

If you're wanting or needing to start small and work your way up, I would suggest this:

http://www.amazon.com/CAD-Studio-Quality-Recording-Bundle/dp/B0073K9CYA/ref=sr_1_29?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1348147147&sr=1-29&keywords=usb+microphone+bundle

CAD makes good microphones (I've used them in my recording studio for music) and this bundle comes with a pop filter and stand for only $75.  It's a small investment that will sound very good while being a good starting place.  If you feel later on like you need something more, you can always upgrade but personally, I'm always looking for the balance between cheapest and best and I think this is a good value. 

My main microphone that I use for vocals and narration cost $40, sounds great, and I've never wanted anything else so it's up to you.

Here's a quick sample of my narration:

By the way, I record everything into Audacity (it's free) and use The Levellator (also free) afterwards to make sure all the levels are even.

Louise Ward

I do not carry out an extensive amount of recording for e-learning courses, because I believe you need to have a very quiet room (or even better a sound proofed studio) to get the quality required for e-learning (or any kind of professional recording for that matter), which I unfortunately do not have. 

However what I have used in the past is the 'Go Mic' by Samson which is described as a 'Portable USB Mic for Recording' - it clips easily to the top of a laptop or monitor so there's no need for a stand.  The sound quality is pretty good for such a small device and it has particular settings to reduce background noise...

casey hillstrom

Daniel Brigham said:

John:

Most decent mics go from $100 to $200. If you want what they call a "home studio microphone," you are looking at $250 and up. Of course, you can always buy used equipment. Plenty of that around.

More important than your equipment, though, is your skill as a narrator. A mediocre lead guitarist with a Les Paul still sounds like a mediocre guitarist. Listen to the pros and read their books--James Alburger, Harlan Hogan et al.

As an ID who does voiceover, I'm learning, too. Here's a link to my portfolio page (voiceover examples are the third one down). Listen for what you don't like, and what you can do better.  Best of luck, and feel free to PM with any questions.  

Daniel,

What microphone did you use when recording the e-learning voice over in your portfolio? I think it sounds pretty good. If you can, would you tell me what all completes your audio set up? I have been designated as the new narrator voice for an e-learning course that a team of us are working on and they expect me to know a thing or two about microphones even though I am just a beginner. The quality should be very high as our product needs to be very professional for our client. Thanks in advance!

Steve Flowers

This mic is on the expensive side but the demonstrations sound amazing. Much better than my Blue Snowball, smaller by far,  and as a bonus it connects to the iPad for field recording:

http://www.amazon.com/Studio-quality-microphone-iPad-iPhone/dp/B006W11TT2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351861249&sr=8-2&keywords=Apogee

My goal for next year is to experiment with using the iPad as an authoring support device for as much as I can comfortably handle. If I can shift 50% of my effort to the device with the same or less effort... it's an experiment

Rich Johnstun

I do a lot of audio recording and my default "go to" when someone asks about mics is the Audio Technica AT2020. Having said that, most of the recording issues that people have aren't a result of the mic, it's a result of the environment. Follow Dale's advice on your mount and your room and you'll get good results with decent mics. 

B&H sells a nice little desktop recording setup for $250. AT2020, stand, mount, baffle. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/848499-REG/Audio_Technica_AT2020_USB_Desktop_Pack.html

Daniel Brigham

casey hillstrom said:

Daniel Brigham said:

John:

Daniel,

What microphone did you use when recording the e-learning voice over in your portfolio? I think it sounds pretty good. If you can, would you tell me what all completes your audio set up? I have been designated as the new narrator voice for an e-learning course that a team of us are working on and they expect me to know a thing or two about microphones even though I am just a beginner. The quality should be very high as our product needs to be very professional for our client. Thanks in advance!

Hi, Casey:

My mic is a Audio Spectrum OSM 800. My preamp is Presonus Tubepre. I use Audacity for editing. In a few months, I'll be switching out this mic for something a bit warmer. I'm a tenor, so the longer I record, the thinner my voice sounds. In Audacity, I use the bass boost effect (default settings).

I've made some tweaks to my home studio. Here's a brief Storyline presentation using audio recorded in that space. Writing Voiceover Scripts. The sound is a bit more "present." The room you record is just as important as the mic you use.

There's a big learning curve to recording and editing narration. Feel free to reach out with any questions you might have. And shoot me a sample of your recording, when you get a few done. Love to hear what your up to. --Daniel

Angie Shertzer

When a microphone & audio setup works, it's magic. When it doesn't? Grab some Advil and get ready to troubleshoot! I can vouch for Samson & Snowball mics. Also I tend to record with the mic in a cardboard box (don't knock it - it just consistently rounds out the sound quality...my favorite is actually foam-covered).

I thought you might be interested in some how-to info as well. If not, just ignore!

The eLearning Smith has an Audio Recording for eLearning guide that I've used.

http://thelearningsmith.com/Blog/2010/07/how-to-record-edit-audio-for-elearning/

And as far as actual technique for recording, here are some notes I use from 

http://thescreencastinghandbook.com/blog/good-microphone-technique/

• Distance:  4” and keep a constant distance
  • Taking breaths: Sensitive microphones will pick up breaths. Turn your head away or take quiet breath. Use a pop filter .
  • Lip smack: Don’t lick your lips, let them go dry. Use Vaseline – retains moisture so you don’t lick your lips. When start sentence, pause to reduce lip smacks.
  • Drinking water: Quality of audio changes temporarily (10 sec.) since water in your mouth. Take a drink, wait 10 sec, take a breath and then read.
  • How to talk into the microphone: Be consistent for consistent quality. If microphone hanging down and angle it down pointing toward your noise, just off-set a bit, it will help with sibilants with some microphones. (Bs, Ps, Ss)

Good luck!

Bob S

Hi Emma,

Disclaimer: I am a certified audi snob having worked in the high-end A/V industry for years. 

With that disclaimer out of the way, here is some advice on headphones...

First, decide on the style of phones you want; in ear, on ear, or around ear. Mostly this is personal preference, but many on ear and around ear styles offer more isolation from outside noise.

Second, once you choose a style, next narrow your choices by comfort not sound quality. You can find this by online reviews. I know this sounds heretical coming from an audio snob, but the reality is you may be wearing these things for hours. The best sounding cans in the world will be an albatross around your neck if you hate how they feel on your head. Consider, heat factor, squishing your ears, headband pressure, etc. Again, online reviews are great for this as it's hard to try them all on yourself.

Finally, once you've narrowed the choices down to a few, pick the best sounding ones you can afford. Personally I'm pretty intolerant of the typical "sizzle-boom" headphones popular with my teenage children's generation.   I prefer a warm sounding set of cans that offer good detail.

Some standouts IMHO...

Beyer Dynamic - These cans are heavenly, but not cheap. Anything in their full size (around ear) line from the DT series is hard to go wrong with. These are some of my favorite cans of all time

Sennheiser - Make some great phones with awesome level of detail. Oddly enough, I prefere their small on-ear designs best as the bass in the full size ones is a bit soggy for me.

Audio Technica - Good value phones, lots swear by them. A touch bright sounding (sizzly) for some, but well built and good detail for the money.

Yamaha RH5Ms - Don't scoff (sorry, audio snob moment!). These "bargain" headphones were something I turned my nose up at for years. Another friend in the biz sat me down and made me listen to them critically... I was impressed. For about $60 these do a great job and you can wear them for hours. A really nice choice for a budget narration set up, but be warned they are on-ear design so will not provide full isolation if that's what you need.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Bob S

Hi Steve,

I  hear you... not sure who's ears Sony thinks their cans will fit around, but not an average sized human.    I find them a bit uncomfortable too and warm over time.

Sold Sennheiser for years and they are amongst the best, solid choice if you go that way. But for a bargain those little Yamaha's are pretty darn good.

Bob

Maya Speights

As a music producer I have a professional audio studio, however, when I need to record remotely I rely heavily on the blue snowball. 

I think a better investment than the mic is basic sound editing software.  Even Garage Band will give you simple EQs and mastering tools to produce a great sounding voiceover.

I personally use LogicPro, a lot of folks use ProTools, I'm not as fast in ProTools so I don't use it for the voiceover editing.  I can make that snowball sound just as good as a vocal booth.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.