Hover State...bug?

Sep 26, 2012

Hi, 

Was just at client site.

We created an image-driven "hub* menu with "Complete" states, (image + tick).

All worked fine until you (accidentally) hovered the mouse over the custom Complete state, and it automatically went BACK to "Hover" state, then stayed there when mouse removed.

Is this a (known) issue?

Think I saw this a long time ago, but not seen recently. Got rid of it by deleting the "Hover" state, but that's not idea.

Thanks

Bruce

34 Replies
Justin Grenier

Good Afternoon, Bruce.

I haven't been able to reproduce this problem as I understand it.  Can you please take a look at the attached .story file to see if this seems like a valid test to you?  Please let me know if I've misunderstood the problem in any way.

...and of course you can always submit a Support Case and include a copy of your .story file if you'd like us to take a look at your specific situation.  Thanks!

Sasha Scott

I have also found some strangeness and get around it by being careful to give all states a custom name rather than using "Hover" etc. which seem to be in-built / reserved names.

It's counter-intuitive to me not having "mouse out" events to make sure I clean up if anything gets sticky, but I can see why - with HTML 5 on mobile devices there's simply no mouse, so there's no hover... or mouse out... or mouse in...

Bruce Graham

Hi Justin,

As Phil says - it does not happen every time, but it was pretty embarrassing yesterday...

I cannot send you the file as we had to delete the "Hover" state to make it work. When something like this happens, my first reaction is to try and protect the integrity of the product I am demonstrating, and my own professionalism, so I'm afraid saving a copy off client PC to send in is not at the top of my list! 

The scenario is simple, and always the same ((in my experience)

1> A slide has a series of buttons, each of which have (as Phil said...) a Custom state called "Completed" (for example).

2> The state just has a tick on the button (for example)

3> A T/F variable is set at the start of the course

4> Clicking the button shows a Layer (or another scene), and then at the end, the next button swaps the Variable to "True", and then moves back to the menu.

5> A "When Timeline <on slide> starts" Trigger sees the variable is True, and displays the Custom State for the "completed" section.

6> Hovering over the new State "locks" the button into Hover mode, removing the tick, and you cannot get it to go back to Completed.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

Nancy Woinoski

I was going to suggest deleting the hover state (but I guess you did that already)  - if you want a hover state try creating a custom one. You will then have to add a trigger that has to display it on mouse over but you should be able to add a condition that then stops this from occuring when the object is selected.

vinayak kadam

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is a bug or I am missing some important logic of states.....

When I drag a button should it show me 'hover' state or the 'down' state ? My button strangely shows both!

You may have a quick look of my states: http://www.vinayakkadam.com/samples/drag_hover_output/screenshot_states.jpg

Published version: http://www.vinayakkadam.com/samples/drag_hover_output/story.html

Source Story: http://www.vinayakkadam.com/samples/drag_hover_output/drag_hover.zip

Your thoughts please ?

As ever,

VK

vinayak kadam

I have a callout on hover state and when I start dragging the drag item I do not want the call out to appear ? Can you tell me any other way around ?

Secondly can you please answer specifically my 1st question please....When I drag a button should it show me 'hover' state or the 'down' state ?

Thanks for your kind consideration!

As ever,

VK

Phil Mayor

As I said I think this is expected behaviour with hover and down, not saying it is right but likely expected.

I dont know why you want to drag a button from a UI point of view it is just wrong users expect things to work a certain way.  I cannot really think of an elegant way to get rid of the callout, it would really be a kludge that would break at some point

vinayak kadam

I want to drag a button because:

I have 4 drags and 4 drops and every drag has an explanation (seen on rolllover) and based on the explanation user has to drag and drop on the correct target ? If user drops incorrectly drop has to return back to its original position. If teh user drops correctly drag should be disabled.

Can you tell me is there any other that you understand on top of what I am trying to do which you do not understand ?

Phil Mayor

Dragging buttons is wrong, you can add callouts to any other shape or object but using buttons is not right (maybe its just me).

Users expect buttons to be pressed not dragged, 

I strongly believe we should be building intuitive designs, this would save us time explaining how to use the course.

The problems you have are because of this, you may be best deleting the hover state and the down state because you dont need the down state

vinayak kadam

"Users expect buttons to be pressed not dragged"

How come looking at an element on screen user would come to know is it a button or shape ? Even if I use shape I get the same issue.....

I am very sorry but I feel that my question is still unanswered. If user click and drags a shape which state should it be in....hover or down ? Can somebody please answer this basic question ? I am not able to make out .....In my opinion it should be in 'down' state ?

vinayak kadam

Hi Bruce and Phil,

Thanks for the explanations...thats helped to make my basics strong....please dont get irritated by me questions...My only intention is to get my basics right....coming back to the issue I am facing....

I just took a shape and

- assigned some drag action to it

- added a callout in the hover state

- gave a blue color to my shape in down state

Now when I rollover I see the callout but when I drag I see both the callout and the down state ? I just wanted to clear my basics more.....should It be displaying both the states or just down state ? Is it a Storyline bug or expected behaviour ?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.