Ideas for Communication Graphics

Oct 02, 2012

Hey Heroes,

I'm in the brainstorming stages for a new e-learning course that I could use some inspiration for. The course is covering how to use communication tools within the company's sharepoint site. I've got the content planned but could use some ideas for the look of the course.

Being that the course is largely based on communication I'm looking for some ideas for communication related graphics for the template.  What do you picture when you hear the word communication?  What kind of textures, shapes, and graphics do you see in an elearning course covering communication tools?

So far, I'm thinking along the lines of using caption shapes as the placeholders for text, graphics, and video in the course.  Do you think communication when you see a caption shape?  Any other ideas for a template or graphics that screams communication?

16 Replies
Melani Ward

That's funny. I immediately thought of the game "telephone", the words blah, blah, blah and Charlie's Brown's teacher. Funny how all of my thoughts drifted toward missed or ignored communication.

Having said that, when it comes to communication I have always loved the idea of highlighting what someone said versus what the person receiving it heard and then work from there. You could do something like that where you use audio for the "saying part" and then thought bubbles for what was heard. This would be a fun intro maybe before you dig into more details of the course.

Holly MacDonald

Joe, I think "speech bubble", but that takes it more into the act of communicating, which I'm not sure is your goal. If I'm interpreting correctly, there are types of tools that you need to expose learners to, so you could have a sort of icon for each type: meeting/project/synchronous... For example, if you are showing IM - you could have two overlapping speech bubbles with the IM logo inside the bubbles.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but hope it helps

Holly

Joe Deegan

Thanks for all of the great suggestions guys.  The wheels are definitely turning.  As Holly mentioned, the course will be mainly focused on electronic communication through Sharepoint so the course will focus mostly on the tools in Sharepoint but I will be building communication scenarios where graphics like this will be helpful.  Thanks again for the ideas.

David Anderson

Joe Deegan said:

So far, I'm thinking along the lines of using caption shapes as the placeholders for text, graphics, and video in the course.  Do you think communication when you see a caption shape?  

Hey Joe - You've probably seen this, but it's always worth posting: Comic Book Grammar & Tradition. It's like a taxonomy of chat cloud styles and meanings. 

Bruce Graham

David Anderson said:

Joe Deegan said:

So far, I'm thinking along the lines of using caption shapes as the placeholders for text, graphics, and video in the course.  Do you think communication when you see a caption shape?  

Hey Joe - You've probably seen this, but it's always worth posting: Comic Book Grammar & Tradition. It's like a taxonomy of chat cloud styles and meanings. 

Thanks Dave!

You have absolutely no idea how immediately useful that will be

Bruce

Stephanie Harnett

Hi Joe. I've created several communication + technology modules and the approach I've taken is to align visuals and interactions with with real-life workflows; highlighting points where the use of the technology is more advantageous than traditional methods (i.e. email) by way of narration and/or rollover tips and information popups. In the sample below there is explanatory information about a process/workflow and who it affects then an interactive simulation that presents a full screen monitor. As the user interacts with the monitor, it pushes to the background and other information surrounds it. In this case, details of what's going on behind the scenes technically but this could also be information about specific Sharepoint features that help connect people/groups and enable communication (i.e. if you create a group and post an item to it, everyone ses it, Jane can check it out, modify it, check it back in as a new version vs. the traditional email approach, etc.). So in the work I've done, the "communication images" are people in real situations undertaking a new workflow to improve their ability to communicate and collaborate effectively.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.