sample:Using variables to score each response in MultiResponse Qu

Oct 05, 2012

Hi everyone

I’m a newbie as I only bought Storyline (SL) this Monday, so please forgive me if this is not the right place or format for this post. (Let me know)

The problem:

1: I wanted to be able to create 3 Multiple Response questions each with 5 responses. The learner is given a point for each response they answer correctly; therefore a total of 15 points is on offer.

2: At the end of the quiz, the learner can review their answers before finally submitting the answer.

3: If the learner does not reach the pass mark they can retake the test.

The Solution:

I couldn’t do this with the standard Multiple Response question page as it scores by question and not response. And so, I built a sample SL using variables - see attached.

I have given descriptions in the SL file in the Notes tab on each page but I’ll describe some of the main features here.

Features:

Quiz pages: There are 3 quiz pages, 1 question per page with 5 responses each. By using one variable ScoreTotal I can add 1 to the score total for each response the learner gets right. Tip: I created the first quiz page with all the triggers and then duplicated it for question 2 and 3 and the only change I had to make was the actual text for the question and the responses as well as object names in triggers.

ScoreTotal variable: This variable is used to hold the learner’s current score. It is displayed on the Assessment Results page and also to calculate if the learner passed/failed the test.

Review Submit page: After the three questions, the learner goes to this page and has the choice to either review the choices they made (i.e. jumps them back to question 1) or to submit their choices (i.e. jump to the next page, the Assessments Results page).

ResetAssessment variable: If the learner selects the Review button on the Review Submit page, the ResetAssessment variable is set to false. That means the responses they selected for each question are shown as they chose them (i.e. true or false). The learner can either keep their original choice or change it. (We’ll come back to this variable at the end!)

Assessment Results page: If the learner selects the Submit button on the Review Submit page, a Slide Trigger is activated that calculates if the ScoreTotal variable is greater than or equal to 12  or less than 12 (which is the pass mark). If >= 12 the Passed layer is displayed on the screen, if <12 the Failed layer is displayed.

Retry Assessment button: If the learner clicks the RetryAssessment button on the Assessment Results page, this does three things: 1) It resets the ScoreTotal variable to 0; 2) It sets ResetAssessment variable to true; 3) It jumps to the first quiz question.

ResetAssessment variable: (I told you we’d come back to this variable). When the learner opens each of the quiz pages a Slide Trigger is activated. The trigger checks the status of the ResetAssessment variable. If the variable is currently set to true it changes the state of the False radio buttons to Selected and the True radio buttons to Normal. In other words, it clears the learner’s previous choices and sets the page back to its default state.  

Finally … naming objects: Especially when using variables, it is good practice to meaningfully name your objects and your variables. See how I named mine in the SL and how it probably helped me keep sane when selecting which object I want to use for each trigger.

Improvements:

You could improve this quiz by providing feedback on the Assessment Results page. For example, using variables you could direct the learner to specific pages in the eLearning for the answers they got wrong. But I’ll let you work out how to do that! 

Last word:

If you have used variables before, this should be quite easy to follow. However, if your new to variables it may take time to sink-in before you feel comfortable but I promise you, it’s fairly straightforward.

Let me know if you found this useful or would have done this differently.

Robin – make learning useful

4 Replies
Robin Spinks

Hi Luke

Since I did this post I haven't had the opportunity to use SL more than twice - I'm an eLearning project manager rather than a developer.

You are correct in its current state it won't output in the SCORM file. However, there must be system variables for scoring that output to the SCORM file. If so (and you can find out what they are) you could always add another action that simply said add my total score variable to the system variable. Do you see what I mean?

If I have time in next couple of days, I'll have a look. I can't remember what I called my variables, so I'll have to remember what I did!

Otherwise, may the force be with you Luke.

Robin

Robin Spinks

Luke

Just did a quick check in this Forum and it seems there are only 4 system variables in the whole of SL!!  See here.

Fortunately, they seem to be related to scoring.  I wonder if the Results.ScorePoints is used for the LMS or it is all hidden from us as developers and we can't do anything about it! Another of their system variables is Results.PassPoints - maybe that would be useful.

I have to say I'm surprised there are so few system variables available - and it seems others on the Forum are as well. 

Robin

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.