Treasure hunt for Storyline resources ;)

Nov 02, 2012

Dear all,

First of all, sorry for the long absence - I've rejoined the Centre for Translation Studies at the University of Leeds and I am now lecturing in Applied Translation Studies. In my new job I have access to quite a few new toys, designed to make the process of translation and localization easier and more consistent. They handle a lot of file formats and I'm looking after many super cool MA students in Applied Translation Studies becoming more and more proficient in using them.

I was wondering if anyone here had any Storyline projects to share for educational purposes. My intention was to find and use such resources in English, Italian, French, German, Spanish, Japanese (the languages my students translate from; just in case you are curious, they translate into English, Simplified and Traditional Chinese, and Japanese) to demonstrate how CAT (Computer-Assisted Translation) tools can help e-learning designers, too.

For instance, we could tell you several things which may be of interest:

- whether your resources will be easy to localize (e.g. will there be areas where the text is likely to be larger than your text boxes?)

- our thoughts on whether your scenarios are appropriate for the target culture

- later on in the second semester, whether machine translation + post-editing would do a faster and cheaper job than using human translators for everything

I already have my own Storyline resources which I was going to use, but I thought we could all benefit from this: my students will acquire cool localization skills using real-life resources, will also hopefully make some new friends, and you would benefit from a free and (if you were actually thinking about localizing your resources) useful service giving you a few good tips.

As always, I'm very happy to hear ideas and see how we can all be happy with the outcome. Have fun and looking forward to hearing from you

6 Replies
Jeanette Brooks

Hi Dragos, really nice to see you, and that's great news about what you are doing at the University of Leeds. It sounds like a very cool plan you've put together for your students. And I bet this work would make a great case study to present at the next European Articulate conference!  

Hey since I'm guessing folks will probably ask, who will be seeing the Storyline source files that folks share with you? I imagine that there are folks in the community who would be interested in helping but who might have confidentiality concerns about their content. Are the courses only going to be viewed by yourself and your students? Also, is there any particular types of content that you are especially interested in working with?

Dragos Ciobanu

Hi, Jeanette True, if this little experiment turns out some interesting findings, it would be very cool to share them before/during/after the next Articulate Conference :)

I am happy to do this both ways to keep folks happy: on the one hand, I can keep the Storyline projects to myself, export the text in XLIFF and Word, run it through the CAT tools we have, then put it back and analyse the results, plus share them with the 'parents' of those particular source files. After doing that for a few different folks, I could put it all together and summarise the lessons.

On the other hand, if we could find some resources which the students could see, too, in all their Storyline beauty, it would make the task so much more enjoyable for them, as they will be able to see immediately the results of their work.

I am hoping to be able to get a good sample of both types of resources and I am happy to go along with NDAs as long as I can anonymise the results and use them in later blog posts/presentations/publications.

Thanks for backing this up and hope to see you in the UK next year,

Dragos :) 

Natalia Mueller

Hi Dragos,

I may have a good project to share with you and your students. My team and I provide system training via eLearning courses for our international locations. Training to our offices has always been in English as all of the management teams are fluent English speakers. They take the training and then teach the rest of the employees who don't speak English or aren't as fluent. As you would expect, this has mixed results.

I am taking a different approach going forward. We're in the beginning stages of designing two training programs and the eLearning portion will be developed in Storyline. We will be designing them as text only English courses for the first delivery in January 2013. After that the rest of the countries will receive the training in stages throughout the year. I want to translate the courses into each language. I was going to team up with employees at each location for that piece of the project, but I'm open to working with you and your students if you think this is along the lines of what you're looking for. 

Feel free to message me directly.

Natalia

yves BRISSET

I have seen a storyline game call treasure hunt and i try to understand how it' s work to get the same for an other storyline game

instead of the card with the stone

i want to create three different condition

i don't have dropbox because my company make a security PROXY than i don't have SCEEN TWEET anf YOU TUBE access.

thank 's for helping

Jeanette Brooks

Hello Yves - perhaps you are referring to the course feature in this blog post? If so, unfortunately we're not able to share it since the source file doesn't belong to us, but if you have questions about how specific features were built, you could always post in the Storyline forum and describe what you are trying to do, or contact Mashrur Nabi, the course author. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.