Import own Characters

Nov 09, 2012

Hello

I am interested in buying storyline and have 2 questions:

a) I want to draw my own vector characters in illustrator and import them in Storyline.

In which Format the Images have to be? .gif, .eps, ...?

How do I import them?

What's important to know to create states.

b) I want to animate the build in or own in characters, so that they can talk or walk. It should be a simple animation which will be done with several images (2 or 4 images), like an animated gif.
How can I do this in storyline?

I tried to find a possibility with the timeline. Something like changing automatically the state of a character second per second to achieve an animation. 

Does anybody know?

13 Replies
Daniel Brigham

Mich:

Probably the best thing for you to do is download a 30-day trial version of storyline. www.articulate.com. Then you'd get a real feel for what you need Storyline to do.

Inserting images is pretty straightforward. Click "insert" and then select picture. I'm guessing you'd import your vectors as .gif. Not sure animated gifs are a possibility, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable will weigh in. Welcome to the forum. --Daniel

Jerson  Campos

The images of the circle was just set to fade in and fade out after 1 second of being on stage. Due to storylines limited animation capabilities you are going to have to great 2 instances of the object for every time you want it to appear and disappear.

When you import an image, it is just an image. If you want different expressions on your characters you are going to have to create them yourself. The only thing storyline can do to an imported image is change the coloring and add a few effects. I think it would be great if Articulate opened this up to third party development so other designers can create illustrations for this program.

David Anderson

Hi Mich - 

Yes, you can import your own character images into Storyline and use them like any other image you inserted. What's not possible is inserting your images into Storyline's built-in character library. But that's not really a problem when you consider Storyline's states and templates.

You can insert multiple versions of your cutout people images into a character's custom states. Here's a quick overview of how that works:

Heather Dickinson

Hello

Has anyone tried importing a rendered HTML5 animation from Character Builder (media semantics) into a Storyline project? 

I have a client who wants characters that have high vis vests on and hard hats (outdoor/mining sites etc).  The characters inbuilt in storyline aren't customisable so I'm looking at other options.  I'm use to importing characters into Articualte Studio using Flash (SWF) files.  This works also in Storyline, but like I thought - when I publish to view on an iPad, the flash characters - of course, don't work. 

I tried playing with rendering the characters to HTML5 in Character Builder and inserting into Storyline but it didn't work (maybe because I'm viewing the output via IE which doesn't support HTML5!).  Confusing. I've read the help section in Media Semantics (KB121: Working with Articulate Storyline) but still having trouble.  Looks no where near as good as a SWF file.

Has anyone had any luck with this?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Zoe,

You can certainly add in your own characters as images within Storyline, but there isn't an option to include them in the Storyline library of characters yet. I know a few folks have asked about an "asset library" to store such things in Storyline - and that's an idea we've shared with our team as a feature request! 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Francis,

We don't have a public feature request list, but I'm happy to answer any questions for you! Our team prioritizes features based on the info outlined here, so it's always helpful to know if there are particular items you'd need to make your course authoring easier.  

I’ll be happy to pass your thoughts on to our product team, but you can also feel free to detail them more through a feature request!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.