First Things You Do When Starting a New Storyline Project

Nov 27, 2012

Hi!

I'm helping a local company adopt Storyline.  As such, I'm beginning to document/link to some important resources for them.

Question--when you start a new Storyline project, what do you do first before you start creating new slides?

Here are mine.

1) Make sure the right page size is selected first.  Changing this later can be sometimes be troublesome.

2) Make sure I have the right color scheme chosen.  If I need to create a custom one, I do it now.  Changing a color scheme mid-stream can also often be troublesome.

3) Make sure I have the right template(s) to use.   If I have create a new one and base this on a PowerPoint presentation, I'll import it in and create a new Storyline template.

4)  Make sure the main template has the all elements I need.  This includes modifying the master as needed, adding things like buttons or other objects, adding new text areas, etc.

5) Set things up locally for work.  This means creating a separate project folder for the course and then adding subfolders underneath that folder for things like Narration, Music, Videos, etc.

Anyone have any other things they do when starting a new project?

8 Replies
Geert De Rycke

Gerry,

In addition to all of the above

• We're working in a multi-language environment, so language issue (length of controls etc.) have to be taken into account as well
  • Does the application run on an LMS, it must be check how to report to the LMS Pass/complete - incomplete/complete
  • Are there visually impaired ? If so you'll need to see about 508

Cheers

Geert

Sayuj Ravindran

Gerry Wasiluk said:

5) Set things up locally for work.  This means creating a separate project folder for the course and then adding subfolders underneath that folder for things like Narration, Music, Videos, etc.

I usually follow a folder structure like this:

Input Files: Contains all the files sent to us by the client & SME

Working Files: Contains all the Project Files (Articulate or Captivate mainly)

Support FilesImages, Music, Audio, Video, Fonts, etc will be the subfolders

Quality & Monitoring: Checklists for Quality Check and Course Delivery Schedule

Output Files: Published Outputs which are finally sent to the client (saved with a version tag)  

Thats my two cents...

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.