Demo: case study created with avatars

Dec 07, 2012

Hi E-Learning heroes!  I'm seeking feedback on a project that I created using Storyline and Xtranormal.  This runs best on the web using a wired connection, and I'm hoping to get it running on the iPad as well.  Right now there's a button that causes it to crash the Articulate Mobile Player and I've submitted a ticket on that.  Anyway, this Root Cause Analysis case will be used in an online nursing class.  (Warning:  the case contains sensitive content that some may find disturbing.)

BTW, I'm a one person shop without a budget for voice talent, so the audio isn't all that great. 

Thanks for your input!

11 Replies
David Anderson

Very creative, Elizabeth. I especially like the menu screen with the badges on the desk.  And the visited states on the badges? Nice touch

Gotta say you also found some great ways to use the scrollpanes for your transcripts. 

The only thing I might do differently is set the videos to autoplay. I wanted them to play when the slide loaded... but I can see why you would turn control over to the learner.

Helen Tyson

Hi Elizabeth

I think this is really nice piece of work. I agree with Dave about wanting the videos to play automatcally but again can understand why they are triggered.

I just have two other comments, one is a functional thing and one is pure opinion so feel free to ignore

1. The Previous button on the badges slide currently has default behaviour which, in Storyline, is Previous VIEWED slide so if you have already viewed an interview there is no way of getting back to the introductory slide should you want to review the information held here, for example the timeline or the panels experience. If you set a specific trigger on the Previous button to Jump to Slide this would be helpful.
  2. The opinion thing is that I'd like to have had a clearer view of the Timeline within presentation in the first video. Although I have no experience in this type of situation it felt to me as though it could potentially be very relevant information.

Otherwise, as I said it's got a nice look and feel to it and the ID badges are a great touch.

Regards

Helen

Elizabeth Miles

Thanks so much for all of your feedback - much appreciated!  I set the videos to autostart and replaced the default previous button with a back to intro button on the ID badges slide.

Kamal - in Storyline, if you click on the Options tab (or double-click on a video after inserting it) you can choose to show video controls.  

For those interested in Xtranormal:  it is very affordable, and if you place your characters on a green screen you can superimpose them over any image/setting like I did in this demo (the background is the clinical learning center where I work).  I used the desktop version of Xtranormal for these projects, then processed the videos with the Articulate video encoder.  

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.