Creating page turning animation

Dec 20, 2012

Hi all, I am trying to make an animation where the user sees a book cover, and clicks to open it, and it opens up to a new page. It works well in ppt, but it can only happen automatically. Ideally I'd like the user to have to click the cover, and then the animation begins. Is that possible? I've tried using a trigger, but that didn't seem to work.

Is the only way a user can activate an animation through a hyperlink? and then it could be a new slide with the animation beginning at the start of it?

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks for your help,

Nate

35 Replies
Jeanette Brooks

Hi Nathan - so you're using Presenter? The reason I ask is, I was going to suggest that you use either this free spiral notebook-style PowerPoint template or, if you also have Articulate Engage, you could try the free Flipbook community interaction. But definitely, if neither of those float your boat,  feel free to attach your file here and maybe we can provide some further suggestions?

Nathan Ritzau

Hi Jeanette, I had seen those and they weren't quite what we were looking for.  But I also understand that I may be spending way too much time on this and what I'm wanting to do may not be possible.

I've attached the ppt file if you want to see. When I publish it, the animation occurs automatically, because I had to sync the animation. If I don't sync, nothing happens once I publish and the page doesn't turn. If I want to give the user the illusion that they are turning the page, do I have to use a hyperlink to a new slide that would then open automatically?

Jeanette Brooks

Ah I see what you mean! Yeah, unfortunately Presenter doesn't support on-click triggered animations, but attached below is a tweaked version of your file, and I think it will give you the behavior you want. Here's what I did:

• Created a separate slide at the beginning, showing the book closed, and removed all animations from that slide. 
  • Then I inserted a 100%-transparent shape on the book's cover, and hyperlinked it to "next slide."
  • On the 2nd slide (the one with the animations), I changed the beginning animation to start "with previous." This means it'll happen as soon as the learner arrives at the slide. 

So, when the learner launches the course, they'll see the book cover, they'll click on the cover, and that will take them to the duplicate slide which shows the animation of the book opening. I hope that helps!  

James Brown

I'm wondering.. I'm a technology prof and one interesting thing that I learned over the past 6 months is that Flash most likely will be ditching it's player and porting all it's animation into Javascript code and HTML5. I know HTML5 isn't official until 2014 but it makes me wonder if you simply could not use the page turning Javascript in the Action Script code?

In fact here is an example in jquiry that does this. Not as pretty as the flash effect but it does work.

http://builtbywill.com/code/booklet/demos/starting

Of course you could just edit the file in flash and add the page turning effect.

Here's a Dreamweaver CS4 example in Action Script 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSaAndP8NEI

Alan Landers

This is really cool.  Would someone be so kind as to provide a demo of how it's done?  I'm not as hip on this stuff as you others so a step-by-step demo would be really fantastic.

if that's too big a chore, can you tell me how I can change the first slide?  I'm creating a storyline project and I need the cover to be an ancient looking book - something a wizard or ancient sage would have.  The two internal pages are great as they are.

But then, there will be a time when I want to create something on my own, with more than two pages and I'd really like to know how to do it.

Thank you,

Nathan Ritzau

Hi Alan, if you take a look at the ppt, and open the animation pane and selection pane, you can find out basically how the effect was created. Just replace the pictures and that should be it.

Just to note, I had to import two old animations that are not offered in ppt 2010- Stretch and Collapse. If you click here- http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/Downloads/Old%20Anims3.msi   you will be prompted to download a small file that will restore those old animations to your ppt banner. You may want keep that file as I have found I have to reinstall it each time I open/close ppt.

So, not ideal, but that's the only way I've found to create the page turning effect you saw.

Hope that helps. One last note- this was done in Presenter, not Storyline, so not sure if it will work in Storyline.

Gayla Keesee

Neha Jain said:

This effect does not work the same in Storyline! Any suggestions on how it could be done?

I second Neha's question. I'm currently working on a project where I have the learners get books from the library and open them. Since I'm using Storyline, I'd like to have that open the book look.  Anybody got any ideas?
Stephanie Harnett

If you have PowerPoint 2013 you can save the animated sequence as a MP4 video then bring it into Storyline without any loss of performance. You will first want to change the slide 1 and add a transition to automatically go to the next slide after, say, .25 seconds or you can place the book cover on slide 2 and have it animate out. In any case, once you import the MP4 file into Storyline, you can set the video to play video when clicked from the Video Options menu. I've attached an example.

Beth Worthy

Hi Nathan!

Went through your ppt, that was awesome. I really liked your idea of moving ahead the course in a fairy book style. I hope you can add more effects as Stephanie has suggested. Thanks for sharing and thumbs up for your great idea.

Regards,

Beth

Stephanie Harnett said:

If you have PowerPoint 2013 you can save the animated sequence as a MP4 video then bring it into Storyline without any loss of performance. You will first want to change the slide 1 and add a transition to automatically go to the next slide after, say, .25 seconds or you can place the book cover on slide 2 and have it animate out. In any case, once you import the MP4 file into Storyline, you can set the video to play video when clicked from the Video Options menu. I've attached an example.

Nathan Ritzau said:

Hi Jeanette, I had seen those and they weren't quite what we were looking for.  But I also understand that I may be spending way too much time on this and what I'm wanting to do may not be possible.

I've attached the ppt file if you want to see. When I publish it, the animation occurs automatically, because I had to sync the animation. If I don't sync, nothing happens once I publish and the page doesn't turn. If I want to give the user the illusion that they are turning the page, do I have to use a hyperlink to a new slide that would then open automatically?

Sumit Jadhav

Hey Nathan..

This is such a brilliant idea.. I tried replicating it, however I just couldn't find the Collapse animation effect. I tied the link you shared (http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/Downloads/Old%20Anims3.msi  ) and yet it does not feature on my powerpoint 2010...Is there any other way I can get this animation effect.

Thanks

Sumit

Janine Thompson

Hi Janette,

I have been looking for a way to make slides in Power Point turn like a book, but I want to use the whole slide, not half of it as in this article I am replying to. I tried the idea above, but this didn't seem to work. I am not very familiar with PP. My slides don't have animations, only transitions. I added an animation, but this also didn't work either. This is for an assignment in a photographic course I am doing. The emphasis is on the photos, not the PP presentation, but I think my photo ideas would lend themselves to being seen as a book. Thank You for any help.

Jeanette Brooks

Hi Janine,

I currently have PowerPoint 2013 and there is a transition called "Peel Off" that mimics a page curling and turning to reveal the next slide. Might that suite your needs?

I don't have any other experience with creating page-turn effects from scratch, but I did find this which might be helpful: http://www.technologytrish.co.uk/ppttipspageturn.html 

Janine Thompson

Hi Jeanette,
Thank you so much for your reply. I have PP 2010, but don’t have the menu talked about in the video link in the information you sent. I also cannot seem to find what the text is talking about i.e. draw > autoshapes > basic shapes a "page curl" shape. I hope I am not being dumb. I clicked on everything in all menus, but can’t see it. It may be in a newer version. I didn’t want a page curl. I wanted an effect like you were opening a hard cover photo album cover, from the right and straight up. I don’t even know if that is possible. If you find anything like that, could you please let me know? Grateful for your help.
Thank You
Janine

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.