How do you enable learners to edit text you provide?

Dec 29, 2012

Hi, I'm working on a writing course and want to give learners sentences to edit, and I can't figure out how to do this. Any ideas?

16 Replies
Gonzalo Rosetti

That is a great suggestion. There's a second step to give feedback to learners.

There's a screencast in which the learner's production is contrasted/compared with the expert's answer. This could be a good idea to provide feedback for a writing task. (I couldn't find the screencast)

I meant this tutorial (gap-fill) which also uses a text entry solution: http://community.articulate.com/tutorials/products/text-entry.aspx

Jody Bruner

I've tried all these excellent suggestions. Thanks so much!

Gonzalo, your suggestion is working fine. Since there's not necessarily one right answer, I can use the feedback option to show a "suggested rewrite." It will be helpful some of the time.

I wanted editable text for two reasons--people edit this way in real life, and two, it saves precious screen space. Inputting the text using the variable works, but when I preview it, the text is all highlighted and when I try to edit it, the whole thing deletes. It seems to select all by default. 

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Jody Bruner said:

...I wanted editable text for two reasons--people edit this way in real life, and two, it saves precious screen space. Inputting the text using the variable works, but when I preview it, the text is all highlighted and when I try to edit it, the whole thing deletes. It seems to select all by default. 

Hi Jody,

Glad that Gonzalo's suggestion worked for you. Just an FYI that if you click inside the the editable text box the highlight goes away and you can edit. At least, it has for me. And I agree with you about wanting to create this as close to how it's done in real life as possible.

Kaye McLennan

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro said:

Jody Bruner said:

...I wanted editable text for two reasons--people edit this way in real life, and two, it saves precious screen space. Inputting the text using the variable works, but when I preview it, the text is all highlighted and when I try to edit it, the whole thing deletes. It seems to select all by default. 

Hi Jody,

Glad that Gonzalo's suggestion worked for you. Just an FYI that if you click inside the the editable text box the highlight goes away and you can edit. At least, it has for me. And I agree with you about wanting to create this as close to how it's done in real life as possible.

Example 1:  I have several text entry boxes on the screen.  A user leaves one box and moves on to the next. If they return to the first box, they cannot edit the text.  All the text highlights and then is cut when they enter new text. They cannot put the cursor into the text and edit. Clicking inside the editable text box did nothing except highlight all of the text. Clicking in the box again did not make the highlight go away. They cannot return to the text entry box and edit the text they have already typed.

Example 2: I have one text entry box on the screen.  If the user enters text and then moves the cursor into that text and clicks in the middle of that text, all the text is highlighted. If the user begins to type, all the previous text disappears.

So, once the user has typed in the box and then moves the cursor anywhere and then clicks inside the text entry box, the text is highlighted and not editable.

Is there a solution?

Catrin Thier

HI,

Thanks for so many inputs regarding the editable text fields. It works fine with setting the variable, but I can't get line breaks, the text must be in one paragraph, but I can live with that. So now the learners can edit a pre-typed text, make it there own, now I would like them to copy the text, can I do that?

I cannot use the HTML solution as I can't upload individual files files to a web server.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Catrin, 

To have the link breaks, you'd need to make the text entry box larger. You'll see a description of why if you review this article on how the enter key behaves, as essentially the enter key is also used as a submit button - but if there is extra space the enter key will allow you to move to the next line.

In regards to the copying of text, are you looking for the user to copy text that they just entered into a text entry field, or to copy slide text? While in the text entry field they should be able to copy as normal and then you'll need to determine if they'll want to paste that into a Word file, Notepad, or similar - I don't believe you can paste text into a new Storyline data entry field. 

Let us know if you need anything else! 

Phil Mayor

Hi Joy

For the questions the correct/incorrect is in the same place, these question are much bigger than in other modules.

I can move it more central but expect we will have an issue again, is this OK?

The conclusion pages I built as tabbed interactions the user can click around in them if they want, perhaps we just add audio to say something like click to explore.

I am not around tomorrow so I can publish this to review today or send a scorm, if I put on review i will pick up any changes on Friday.

Phil

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.