Winter Trivia Project Demo

Diana Myers

113 posts

Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 2:18 PM  

I volunteered to gather some winter trivia questions for my son's 4th grade classroom end of term celebration, and I thought it would be a great opportunity to use Storyline. 

I wanted the kids to have "self-directed, free choice" in how they proceeded through the 3 topics and any/all of the questions within a topic.  I didn't add a results/score slide because I wasn't sure how much time they would have to spend on the trivia questions, but that's certainly something I may add.

I've only been using Storyline for about 2 months, so I'm sure there's loads I could do differently/better/more efficiently, but thought I would share.  I welcome any and all suggestions and feedback!

Most importantly, a HUGE thank you goes out to David Anderson who helped me work out the kinks with the button and slide states that were giving me such fits.  David - You Rock!

Winter Trivia Demo

Happy New Year to All! 

Diana

All Replies

Diana Myers

113 posts

Posted Thursday, January 03, 2013 at 1:10 PM  

I had a little extra time to tinker, so I added scoring and a results slide with a little snow on the exit slide. 

Winter Trivia Demo 2

User Rank David Anderson

3,184 posts

Posted Sunday, January 06, 2013 at 6:52 AM  

Hi Diana!

The update looks really great! How did you make the animated snow? It looks great

One thing I'd add is a cross fade transition for all the slides. That would soften the jump from menu to choice and choice to menu.

Looking really great!

User Rank Natalia Mueller

699 posts

Posted Monday, January 07, 2013 at 12:36 PM  

I LOVED that! What a great project. I especially liked how some of the answers gave the option of additional information. Really nicely done!

Diana Myers

113 posts

Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 7:47 AM  

@David - I hate to admit it, but by revealing my crude methods, maybe someone can step in and suggest a better alternative. 

I added the snow "manually"  - I created one piece of snow, added the shadow and animation, then I pasted 160 copies and spread them out across the slide.  After that I just messed around with the timing to make them feel random when falling.

I tried placing the objects across the screen and then grouping them, but then they all fell at the same time and same rate, so it's unsophisticated and a little time consuming, but I got the result I liked.

Any suggestions for next time?