Make popup

Jan 02, 2013

Hi.

Is it possible to make popups?

For example: On page A, I have a button B

When I click this button, I open a popup C.

When I close the popup, I return to page A.

Thank you

6 Replies
Dwayne Schamp

Hi Eric

Not in the true sense of a popup, but there is a workaround.

Create a new slide which will be your popup C.

Go to Slide Properties and set this to Hidden in Navigation.

On Page A > Button B: Add Hyperlink "to place in this document"  and choose Popup C (which is actually your new hidden slide).

in the slide properties window, set the branching for Popup C slide back to Page A.

I can upload this small project if you like.

DeDe Morton

Hi. I'm using Studio '09. I used a variation on Dwayne's original suggestion to create a pop-up dialog box that can be dismissed by clicking an X button on the corner of the dialog. The pop-up appears automatically when the slide loads (but could be triggered by a hyperlink). The user must click the X button to dismiss the pop-up. I really wanted the X button to respond to the user's click and simulate the behavior of a real dialog box. I tried using a trigger at first, but discovered that it was not supported. So, I've implemented my dialog behavior using 2 slides.

I'm hoping that someone in the community can validate that this approach is the best way to implement this behavior. (I'm really new to the Articulate community!)

For the first slide, I overlay the previous slide with a translucent white square to create a dimming effect. At the same time, I use an Appear animation to display the pop-up dialog. (This makes it look like a pop-up has appeared over the content in the previous slide.) On the X button, I've added a hyperlink that points to the second slide.

The second slide has the same content as the first slide: a dimmed background with a pop-up dialog. To simulate that the button has been clicked, I've added a Flash Bulb animation and set it to start with previous. And then I use a Disappear animation to make the pop-up dialog box and the dimming effect disappear. Note that I've hidden these two slides in the navigation pane in Presenter, and I've locked the navigation in the first slide. Also, I've set up branching in the slide following the pop-up so that clicking the back button returns the learner to the slide that appears before the pop-up.

The only disadvantage I can see of using two slides is that the player shows two separate slides playing in the seek bar.

I've attached a screen capture of the pop-up so you can get a general sense of what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Dwayne Schamp

Sounds like a good variation to me.

And the issue with the seek bar isn't anything I'd worry about. Most users will concentrate on the screen content. And if there is audio, it appears as just an audio player for most. I've known a lot of users who don't even realize you can replay the slides by moving the seek bar back and forth.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.