Issues with SCO data and Storyline

Jan 02, 2013

Hi -

I'm currently working with our LMS vendor to make it so I can use Storyline for our assessments and I'm having some issues getting the results to display correctly in the reports within the LMS.

Please have a look at the highlighted portions of the attached SCO data.  It appears that some of the data is being cut out of one of the responses (Scene1_Slide12_Essay_0_0) and is appearing in the suspended section of the SCO output.

Any ideas why the results from this essay question are not displaying correctly?  When I created this assessment, the questions were created in Quizmaker, then imported into Storyline.

Thanks,

Ryan

9 Replies
Peter Anderson

Hey Ryan!

Which LMS are you using? Have you had a chance to test your course in SCORM Cloud to help determine if the issue is Articulate-related or if it's on your LMS's side? If it appears in SCORM Cloud as well, we'd be happy to take a closer look at what might be going on. The articles here and here may also help clear up common LMS issues.

RC -

Hi Peter -

I'm using the Upside LMS and I'm pretty sure the issue is articulate related because the data in the attached document above is exactly what the LMS received when one of our users completed the lesson.  However, I will confirm that with the resource you provided.

We paid Upside to customize that report for us awhile back when we used quizmaker using these specifications.  The report from the LMS is displaying the student response correctly - however for whatever reason some of the response are being sent to the "suspended" section of the SCO data and the report does not display any of the information from that section.

I submitted the case to tech support and have a few things to test (i.e. using SCORM 2004 instead of SCORM 1.2).  I'll report back to this thread once this issue is resolved. 

Ryan

irsty GGmundNone

Hi yes, I have been able to publish to scorm 2004, 3rd edition although the LMS provider is now saying he can't see any of the characters. The debug log on the LMS is showing them as is ScotmCloud so I am not sure what the issue is yet. The LMS provider says that previously they have used Scorm 1.32 for this type of data capture (I assume with other software) and it had performed as expected. Is this a known issue with Storyline on Scorm 1.2?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Kirsty,

The issue I mentioned in regards to the data limit is specific to publishing with Scorm 1.2. It sounds like your LMS doesn't offer support for SCORM 2004, which may limit the amount of data you're able to pass from Storyline to your LMS using the Scorm 1.2 publish setting. Unfortunately, that's a known limitation of Scorm 1.2, and there wouldn't be anything you could change in Storyline.

Simon P

Ashley,

I noticed you have responded to this issue a few times without ever being as clear as I hoped though. So here’s my question:

My Articulate surveys when published as SCORM 1.2 for SABA LMS have a limit of 256 characters. From what you are saying, the limit should be 4096 and not 256… When I publish in SCORM 2004 then it all works…

So can you confirm that I should be able to publish as SCORM 1.2 and still be able to get 4096 characters in my essay survey questions?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.