On-boarding inspiration

Jan 04, 2013

Hello all!  I am in need of a kickstart in designing a course for new hires.

Our company has implemented a new "ticket" system for recording, tracking, and resolving issues.  I've been at the design grindstone for 3-4 years now but this is the first big comprehensive course I've attempted.  The things I've brainstormed about so far would be:

1 - Overview (Goals, Objectives, Tool Description, Purpose, etc)

2 - Roles (get interactive and click your role to learn your duties, or click on others to gain insight).

From here forward it gets somewhat complicated.  I have been toying with a splash page with each person offering to allow the learner to "shadow" with them to learn their role duties, and insert video demos of them performing specific functions (using Captivate screen captures).

I'm trying to figure out if there is anything else I could insert to make it fun.  Software training (in addition to new hire training) can get really boring, and I'm afraid I'll fall into that void.  Any help is much appreciated!!

4 Replies
Bruce Graham

Hi Gregory.

Why not just set up several "scenarios", which are REAL to them.

Show them WHY they matter, (from a business perspective), show them/explain to them what the consequences are if they get it wrong.

Then use SL built in (Show), Try and Test modes for Screen Recording?

Perhaps you could create some sort of "points get prizes" system using scores, or something, but I have not thought that through completely yet....

These are new-hires, so presumably they are motivated to learn - take advantage of that, make them feel they are REALLY contributing to the business.

Bruce

Amir Elion

Hi Gregory,

Absolutely agree with Bruce above - combine real life stories and context to the systems training. Then - they are not boring, they are an essential party of the story.

Here are 5 principles we pay attention to when doing systems training: http://www.kineo.com/us/systems-e-learning/systems-e-learning.html

Other ideas you may use are working mistakes into your design - http://www.kineo.com/us/elearning-tips/tip-5-working-mistakes-into-your-design.html

Giving people time to reflect on why and how things are done: http://www.kineo.com/us/elearning-tips/tip-61-making-it-shine-from-the-inside-reflection-counts.html

Take your time in planning, design and concept. Do a prototype first. Share it with others to get feedback and build on it.

Good luck!

Amir

Veronica Budnikas

Hi Gregory,

Amir and Bruce are spot on. One thing I did once to "reward" learners was, on top of giving points or virtual rewards, I also organised for them to get a free (nice) coffee from the local cafe if they completed the training by the deadline. Along these lines, and depending on how you are set up, you could offer "real" rewards too for whatever milestone is suitable to your situation. I agree with Bruce that usually new hires are quite motivated, but it might be a nice extra to add to the course (a free coffee, lunch, or.... Ooohhhh free Sharpies in every colour...

Veronica

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.