Branching scenarios

Apr 24, 2011

I just saw David's branching scenarios tutorials. It is something that I would like to do. The thing is that I would like to do this kind of branching within Quizmaker. Is it possible? If it is not possible, is it possible for me to insert three separate quizmaker files within each branching scenarios?

http://community.articulate.com/blogs/david/archive/2010/11/23/hands-on-creating-branching-scenarios.aspx

By the way, thank you for the awesome tutorials as always.

14 Replies
David Anderson

Hi Sami!

First off, thanks for the cool feedback

Okay, great question on Quizmaker branching. The great news is you can do just about everything you saw in the Presenter '09 example.

The one big difference is Quizmaker will always move forward--there's no branching backwards like you can in Presenter '09. That means you can't switch tracks the same way. Other than that, you can recreate it.

Here's a quick example: Preview

And here's the source file: Download

Finally, here's a quick Screenr on what's going on: View the screencast

Okay, hope that helps... just let me know if you have any questions!

David

David b

Can you do branching in an Engage F.A.Q.?  I want to redirect users to a slide within the presentation (not add a URL link).  I know that in the FAQ you can go to 'Add Media' and then select hyperlink and add a 'URL' or link to a 'Question'.  These two options dont work for my needs.  Just wondering if I am missing something or if this is not possible, thanks for your help.

Melissa Ochsner

What do I need to do for the scoring to calculate correctly? In this file, if I choose who I am and correctly identify the shirt color, the results slide says I failed because I got the other 2 questions 'wrong' (by not answering them). How can I tell (in my case Storyline) not to count a question against the total score if it is left unanswered?

Steve Flowers

Hi, Melissa - 

In Storyline you could use a dummy underlay to accomplish this for questions you don't want to have count against you. Here's the way I'd do that:

For each question you want add in that has a custom "disconnection" add a True / False question. Move the question off of the stage but don't delete the elements. Now add in your own radio buttons for a "dummy question". Now whenever you answer this disconnected question, the true / false question will always register the question as correct.

I've used this mechanic for grading complex interactions that I want to register as GO / NO-GO. I just toggle it to false if any part of the interaction is missed. True /  False grading can be pretty powerful when loosely coupled with other elements, even when hidden

Melissa Ochsner

So, am I inserting a new slide t/f question and then cutting/pasting those elements to my existing question? I guess I am not sure how to have "2" questions on the same slide/stage? I currently have a freeform slide as a "pick one" and after much distress it is working exactly as I need the learner to have it respond. Will simply adding my own radio button on the stage be enough to make SL do as you suggest?

Maybe I am complicating this too much too; are you saying underlay to mean layer?? 

Melissa Ochsner

I did look at that option but the assessment asks the learner to pick mac or pc and then answer the question, so I wouldn't know what they are going to pick and I want them to get a score for answering correctly but only for one or the other and not be penalized for being branched to their selection and not ever answering the question(s) relating to the other OS. Not sure if that helps/makes sense. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.