I was VP of Training for a Fortune 250 and several others along the way. I've also consulted to the Fortune 500 for over 20 years. I'm just going to offer some ideas from a guy whose been around the block many times.
First, you were promoted because you were the best qualified for the position you now have. Senior management isn't going to make a decision for you. They know very little if anything about designing and creating eLearning. You are going to make it for them! You are their expert. So the decision is really yours.
My most recent CEO said to me: "Alan I need you to do what you do. If you need those tools to do it, then get them." Of course I had to find a tool, justify the costs and then show how I was going to recoup those costs from the programs I would create.
Showing them a bunch of tables, charts, etc. with the features and benefits of various programs isn't important. Yes, I know execs like numbers. The numbers they like are pretty simple. You just have to present a business and cost/benefit analysis to them justifying your decision. And, I'm going to be really honest here... all they care about are results.
Here's an example: Let's say you're going to spend $7,500 for 3 or more licenses. Let's assume you used your comparison tables and made a decision. You have to tell executive management:
- Why this specific program is important to the success of the organization (it allows you to do something that can't be done now, and is vitally important to do. (e.g. create a corporate-wide program to reduce waste, increase productivity, etc. basically - solve an important problem)
- How the training you create with it will make or save money (with projections)
- Why that's important to your company. (repeating won't be bad)
- How long it will take to recoup costs and generate a return on the investment (don't get hung up on ROI - make it simple)
- How easy it is to fit into your current IT situation.
If you can do that, execs don't really care what you buy. So, get the tools you want to do what you know needs to be done. Then make it so #1.
Call me if you'd like 619 397-0275