Resize bug in bullets and numbers

Jan 09, 2013

I am building a Storyline prject and I notice that every time I raise the font size in a bulleted list, the last bullet remains at the smaller size.  This is also true with numbered lists.  If I raise the font size of a numbered list, the last number in the list is not effected and it stays at the smaller size.

The only workaround I have found so far is to trick the system into thinking that there is another line after the list, and reformat that next line.  That does not always work, and is a clunky workaround.  The bullets and numbers appear to be pulling formatting information from the line that follows, not from the line in the list.

10 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Jim. Welcome to E-Learning Heroes!

Thanks for your report of this bug. We are currently aware of the issue and we're currently working toward a fix. I'm also following the current the bug report, so I'll be notified of any changes. If I receive any updates I will try to update this thread.

Also, thanks for sharing your workaround. I'm sure if any other community members experience the same issue, they'll appreciate this!

In the meantime, you may also want to take a look at this forum thread that provides some additional suggestions and workaround for the problem.

Thanks!

Kristine Y

Hi Christine,

I am currently having the same issue, with the last bullet in a smaller size. It seems as though this has been an issue for users for a long time.

The more i play around with it, the more messed up it gets. 

Hopefully your team can come up with a solution soon. Otherwise it leaves your user very frustrated since bullets and numbering is something that is very straightforward.

Thanks

Christine Hendrickson

Hi there Kristine,

Sorry to hear that you're running into this issue as well. 

First, can you tell me what version of Storyline you're using, please? To find this information, click on "Help" and "About Articulate Storyline".

If you're not running version 3 (1305.2012), please download and install the update using the link below:

Articulate - Storyline Update 3

There have been some improvements made that may help out with this issue.

If you'd like, you're welcome to share the .STORY file here. I'd be happy to take a look and see if I can find a solution for your bullets.

Thanks!

Jim Larsen

Well,

I am running the latest version of Storyline on Windows 7 64 bit and I still have the problem.  It you increase the font size at all, the last bullet or number in a list keeps the size of the original text.

I was told it would be addressed in a future release, but I think that was two releases back that I was told.  The problem persists.

Jim

Jim Larsen

There is another interesting feature of the default text box that is distracting.  Often times the word-wrap malfunctions.  After moving the word and the cursor to the next line, the original partial word still exists on the previous line.  So it looks somet

something like this. 

The artifact word vanishes after a while.  Usually always if you resize the window.  It only appears to be there while in edit mode.  If you click out so that you are no longer editing that text area, it looks fine.

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Hi Kristine and Jim,

Regarding bullet sizes, I created a tutorial Bullet sizes giving you fits and starts? that some community members have found helpful in another thread.

Not sure about the other issue you mentioned, Jim. One quick thought: when editing in text boxes, it's best to work with SL zoomed to 100%. ... in case you're not already!

Robert Stewart

The bullets in storyline are the worst I've even seen, kind of like a crappy HTML editor (see above). no leading just line height at half steps.

How I do it:

I put each bullet as a separate line. Hence, a fake double line height (really sucks no padding).

If I get a big or little bullet. I can place the cursor just before the last bullet text line and slowly highlight the text on that line.

Sooner or later the Font Size Box will go blank. You have hit the magic spot. Enter the correct font-size now.

Now my next Beef: Because I have - bullet > line space > new bullet > line space > new bullet.

Translation files (English to French) import with a paragraph return on the animation by paragraph flash bar. I have to then go to each bullets end. Hit Enter > Enter > delete to put the animation by paragraph back to normal.

This has been a bug for about a year. If the development team want to share the code. I'll fix it in a week and make it work like InDesign (real indents, leading full control, etc.) even CCS UL LI styles are better then what Storyline has now.

Send code to Torontographic.com

Gordon Ledbetter

When is this going to fixed!! I am becoming very frustrated with Storyline especially in the area of text. Bullet points require workarounds, text can't be moved unless it's copy and pasted, default fonts, etc. etc.     very frustrating. I am hesitating to recommend Storyline based on the awkward editing of text.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.