storyline examples

Jan 10, 2013

Sorry I posted this first in the wrong forum!  Since there doesn't seem to be a way to move it, I'm going to cross-post here.

http://community.articulate.com/forums/p/23772/130393.aspx#130393

I shared an drag-and-drop example I made, and asked if there is a thread I can subscribe to with sample story files community members create.

I'm attaching the .story file and a Screenr (at Jeanette's and David's suggestion).

https://player.vimeo.com/video/204928710

Thanks!

14 Replies
Jeanette Brooks

Heather that looks great - nice work! I'm sure the community would love to see a screenr of your workflow that you used to create this interaction! 

And you did the right thing by posting here - the General Discussion forum is a great place to share examples, and as Christine mentioned in the other thread, we often feature the samples that folks share when we post the weekly recap on the Word of Mouth blog each Monday.

Again, thanks for sharing this! 

Saenna B Ahman

heather this is awesome, thank you for sharing this and big THANK YOU for the screenr, i always love to see the visual of how people put something together!!!

one thing that might also be helpful for future projects: I recently found out that Storyline has 2 built-in states that are great for drag and drop interactions... DROP CORRECT and DROP INCORRECT. I just wanted to mention this because if you were to use those instead of making the 2 custom states for the correct/incorrect colors on each drag item, you wouldn't need the triggers at all. Because Storyline will apply the state for you as soon as the user drops the item. This could save a little bit of work . because it means you wouldn't have to add the 2 triggers for each of your items.

thank you again for sharing!

Heather Beaudoin

Hi, Saenna!

Thanks so much for pointing that out!  I actually got that to work all the way except the last step.  I have a layer that I want to appear when all the items have been dragged to a target (either right or wrong).  I'm doing that now by saying to show layer when state of objects "are not Normal".  I actually found that trigger doesn't work when using the built-in states of Drop Correct and Drop Incorrect.  Maybe that's a bug.

I couldn't think of another way to show the layer (keying off the states).  Can you think of another way to show the layer after all the objects have been dropped on any target?  If so, I would love to learn that method!  You're right, this way makes it much simpler to create and maintain.

Thanks so much!

Jeanette Brooks

Awesome Screenr, Heather - thanks for recording that!! And I see your point about how the built-in states of Drop Correct & Drop Incorrect don't seem to be working as expected. I'm glad you mentioned this - I just submitted the issue to our dev team, since it doesn't seem like the correct behavior.

Thanks again for sharing a great example!

Jeanette Brooks

Hi Tiffany! In the video you mentioned, the course shown is set up under the assumption that once the learner reaches the final slide in a given path, that section is completed. That's why the trigger to flip the true/false variable to "true" is attached to a "Continue" button on the final slide in the path. If, however, you have a course where learners might skip all over the place and NOT complete an entire path in a linear way, then yes, you could create a separate true/false variable for EACH of the slides in that path, to make sure that the learner has viewed ALL of them (not just the final one). In that situation, your trigger on the menu slide would have multiple conditions on it, because you'd want to make sure that all the required true/false variables had been switched to True in order for the next section of the course to be available. Your trigger might look something like the following. See how there are 3 conditions listed at the bottom of the window (one for each required slide in the section)?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.