Does the storyline articulate mobile player app track through lms

Jan 17, 2013

Hi

Before I test anything myself and waste time testing this, I would like to know if I can publish my course through the setting of Articulate mobile Player and I use this with the ipad application. I would just like to confirm if this application can track results through an LMS or not?

Thanks

11 Replies
Steve Flowers

Hey, Paul - 

I haven't done extensive testing but we ran a presentation through SCORM Cloud with the AMP a few months ago. Not a long presentation and we didn't include any assessment items. How are you looking at the data? Might be some clues / trends / patterns in where it stops the stream.

I use the Tin Can Statement Viewer App from Float to view streams.

Jamie Smith

Hi.

I have been successfully launching and tracking Storyline as Tin Can packages on the iPad using the Mobile player from Moodle.

I have an ongoing project where I've built an LRS that lives in Moodle as a local web service plugin and combined it with a modified SCORM plugin.

The purpose of this project was to host Storyline and launch and track it on the iPad. I wanted to fully utilize the tracking and protected content. So far it's been a great success, although I do have a pretty decent wish list for features in future versions of the mobile player.

I am using Moodle 2.4.1 as my baseline for development. I have repositories for the plugin and the modified SCORM module on Git. If anyone would like to test drive the code it's under my username jgsmitty.

I still have a fair amount of documentation, cleanup, and debugging. However, it seems to do a good job of at least being able to launch, track, and report on the Storyline Tin Can packages.

BTW. This solution does not rely on SCORM Cloud but is a stand alone solution that collects Tin Can statements and translates them to traditional SCORM tracks. So, your reporting is just as if it were a SCORM!

Jamie

ethan estes

Jamie, I 've pulled down a copy of your moodle experience api support code. THANK YOU for your efforts in this area. Can you give guidance on how your exporting your Storyline content? Do I need to include the scorm format and tin can api support in storyline publish settings so it can be imported into moodle and then run via TinCan/experience?

Jamie Smith

Hi Ethan.

The Tin Can web service local plugin is designed to work with the modified version of the SCORM module also maintained on gitHub.

The modified SCORM module is designed to make it as easy as possible to get up and running with Tin Can packages.

When publishing from Storyline, select to publish as a Tin Can package for tracking. Once the publishing is complete, select to create a .zip archive. Go to your course in Moodle, turn editing on, and simply drag the zip package to the course page just as you would when creating a new SCORM. When prompted to select which type of new resource to create, select SCORM. The SCORM module will do the rest.

You may also, of course, create a new SCORM and drag or upload the package on the module edit screen. (Currently, Tin Can packages can be 'uploaded', 'downloaded/synchronized', or linked to a url in an external repository. Just remember for external urls, to list the location of the tincan.xml file.) The SCORM module does a quick check and looks for the tincan.xml file once uploaded and determines that the package is a Tin Can package rather than SCORM. From there, everything is transparent to you and the user. As long as your TCAPI web service is up and running, the statements will stream in and subsequently handled by the SCORM module where they are read and converted to conventional SCORM tracks. These tracks are interpreted by the grade book and SCORM reports so that your SCORMs and Tin Can packages all look the same to a student or administrator.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

ethan estes

Jamie, thanks for the info. Reading through your posts here and over at Moodle the goal was to deliver content to users in the AMP and track it all in Moodle and have it translated to the SCORM reporting values. Does the implementation, at this point, support hosting the content elsewhere with authentication and still pass the TC statements to the moodle endpoint under the correct moodle user profile assigned the course? My client wants a "thin" experience for the user (login and one click tops to launch content) so hosting elsewhere and just talking to the moodle endpoint would simplify the experience. 

ethan estes

Jamie, I was able to get the APM to pass tincan statements to the endpoint once I moved the content to an external location. So it's probably an issue with user authentication and how I set stuff up in moodle. I'm seeing statements flowing into the db tables but i'm not seeing them being mapped to the scorm dataset and coming out in the moodle scorm reports/gradebook. I thought it was supposed to do that. Just wanted to verify if I was mistaken or if I have a config issue in my setup.

Gerry Wasiluk

Two "non-tech" alternatives . . .

1) Publish your course as two courses.  The main content is in an AMP version and the final quiz is simple Flash/HTML5.  Have learners take the content outside of the LMS first and then go to the LMS for credit by taking the final quiz.

2) A variation of the above.  The AMP course is launched as a web object from the Flash/HTML5 version in the LMS.

Not the best solutions at times but should be workable in the right situations.

Jamie Smith

ethan estes said:

Jamie, I was able to get the APM to pass tincan statements to the endpoint once I moved the content to an external location. So it's probably an issue with user authentication and how I set stuff up in moodle. I'm seeing statements flowing into the db tables but i'm not seeing them being mapped to the scorm dataset and coming out in the moodle scorm reports/gradebook. I thought it was supposed to do that. Just wanted to verify if I was mistaken or if I have a config issue in my setup.

Sorry for the delayed response. I believe you have everything working properly. However, you will not see any real data in the scorm data until the 'course' result statement is sent. This will occur when the learner lands on the master results slide if using a results slide for tracking OR when the user completes the required number of slides if tracking slides viewed. Basically, the LRS collects all of the statements sent by the content and the SCORM module monitors the statements until a statement is passed that is relevant to the SCORM as a 'course' which will include the results including grade, duration, and completion status.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.