Why does Try Again not work if the feedback is removed?

Feb 10, 2013

Hi folks,

This is in reference to a Storyline quiz question when you want the learner to have multiple chances to answer correctly.

To have "That answer is incorrect. Please Try Again" as feedback when the choice is called Try Again is a little redundant. Why does Try Again not work if the feedback is removed?

Regards,

George

7 Replies
Nancy Woinoski

Hi George,  if you don't want to use the default feedback messages you can edit the wording in the feedback master.

I guess Try again is considered feedback so if you disable the quiz feedback then try again is also removed.

If you disable the default feedback you can always create your own feedback layers and then add triggers to direct them to the approprate layer.

Vanessa M

Hi Rebecca, I don't now how to attach my story file.

Not sure if this is a simple question. Jeanette posted a solution for my issue yesterday. For my question, with True/False and choosing unlimited attempts. The Try Again button was causing problems, but her fix works, I can also get around it by choosing 1 attempt.
The bigger problem is this... the custom Invalid feedback box I have been using only works for True/False and I reeeaaaaalllly need it for all my questions.How do I send the story file showing how it works for True/False and not for any of the other question types. Hoping there is a quick fix!
Thanks for replying.
Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Hi Vanessa,

You can create Invalid answer layers for other types of slides, but you have to go through the steps each time of inserting a New Layer and setting up all the necessary triggers to get it to work...and the conditions on the triggers will depend on the type of slide.

I've done this for you on Slide 1.4, the drag and drop. So I

• Inserted a new layer and named it Invalid
  • Right-clicked outside the slide and chose the new Invalid Answer layout that you'd created.
  • Added the OK button to hide the layer

On the Base Layer I

• Added a new state called Dragged to all the text boxes
  • Added a trigger to each text box to change its state to dragged IF it was dropped on any of the drop targets
  • Added a trigger to show the Invalid layer IF ANY of the text boxes was not equal to dragged
  • Added a condition to the Submit trigger to only work IF ALL of the text boxes equal dragged
    Remember that this must be the bottom trigger

So you can see even with this great workaround by Jeanette, there's still a fair amount of work involved. Many of us have submitted a feature request asking that the Invalid answer be made into a "regular" layer, like the Correct and Incorrect layers. Please join us if you agree!

Vanessa M

Thank you so much Rebcca, I will give this a try.

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro said:

Hi Vanessa,

You can create Invalid answer layers for other types of slides, but you have to go through the steps each time of inserting a New Layer and setting up all the necessary triggers to get it to work...and the conditions on the triggers will depend on the type of slide.

I've done this for you on Slide 1.4, the drag and drop. So I

• Inserted a new layer and named it Invalid
  • Right-clicked outside the slide and chose the new Invalid Answer layout that you'd created.
  • Added the OK button to hide the layer

On the Base Layer I

• Added a new state called Dragged to all the text boxes
  • Added a trigger to each text box to change its state to dragged IF it was dropped on any of the drop targets
  • Added a trigger to show the Invalid layer IF ANY of the text boxes was not equal to dragged
  • Added a condition to the Submit trigger to only work IF ALL of the text boxes equal dragged
    Remember that this must be the bottom trigger

So you can see even with this great workaround by Jeanette, there's still a fair amount of work involved. Many of us have submitted a feature request asking that the Invalid answer be made into a "regular" layer, like the Correct and Incorrect layers. Please join us if you agree!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.