Alternatives to 'Jump to url' for ipads

Feb 18, 2013

Is there a way to link to an external file, that works with the mobile app?

9 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Welcome to E-Learning Heroes, Marie!

Currently, the "Jump to URL/File" trigger isn't supported in the Articulate Mobile Player app (as I'm sure you've seen). I do believe it's possible in HTML5, but it really depends on how you want to distribute your course and whether or not the other features in your course are supported by HTML5. If you haven't seen it already, you may want to take a look at this comparison chart

What type of file or URL are you wanting to display in the course? Could you use a web object?

Marie K

Thank you    Yes I have seen the comparison chart. 

However I still needed to include som external files in my course. I solved it by using a webobject to show the html file on ipads.

Because webobjects doesnt work on android tablets, I used js to open a new window and another bit of js to detect which device the cource is being vieved on.

Marie K

>>Michael

It is based on Navigator Object.

We use this to show an alert in android browsers:

var visA = GetPlayer().GetVar("visAlert");

var ua = navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase();
var isAndroid = ua.indexOf("android") > -1; //&& ua.indexOf("mobile");
if(isAndroid && visA=="ja") {
                             GetPlayer().SetVar("visAlert", "nej");
                             alert("This is an alert");
}

Steve Smart

I was looking at the same problem, and I found an alternative workaround -

1. Make a Storyline with external files (in my case various pdfs) accessed with 'Jump to URL/File' triggers in the usual way (opening to a new window)

2. publish and FTP the result to my delivery server

3. Find out the absolute urls of the external files by testing the project on a computer

4. Update the source Storyline (1) triggers to use these absolute urls (rather than local file references)

5. publish and FTP the result to my delivery server (this only overwrites existing files, external files FTPed in step 2 remain)

It's a little klunky, but it gets there.  I don't really see why an App update shouldn't make it process 'Jump to URL/File' triggers in using a version of this kludge automatically (ie, assume a base address for the external files directory - eg 

http://serverThisCameFrom/samePathAsThis/story_content/external_files/ - and then attempt to open them in a new web browser window).

Best

Steve.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.