How to make an image flow from one state to another.

May 13, 2013

Hi there. 

I'm having trouble working with states. I had an image file that changes states when another image file came in. I have the trigger set up so that it changes from state to state when the image becomes visible, but I wanted it to flow from the first state to the other rather than just jump to the second state. Any ideas?

6 Replies
Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Hi Ben,

Could you possibly upload a slide to give us a better idea of what you're trying to do? I, at least, am a little unclear when you say, "but it just adds the animation to the entire object."

Anyway, happy to try to help if you can upload an example...sorry for not "getting" what you're getting at!

Ben Passmore

I'll try to explain it once more, but if I can't I don't mind sending in a video. during my slide I have a small image at the bottom hand corner of the screen and sometime during the slide, I would like that image to move to the middle of the screen without it jumping. I selected the image, designed the states of where I wanted it to go and made the trigger so that it changes states at the appropriate time. Now I'm at the point where the image will jump from the first state to the next when the trigger tells it to.

I tried doing what you guys said (Have you tried to add animation to the state? when you edit your state I think you can just add any property you like. You can find animations in a toolbar.) but didn't quite understand what i was doing wrong. I went to 'edit state' and clicked on the states I'm trying to animate. Now when I go to animations on the toolbar  at the top of the page to select an animation, they seem to be all animations for the image itself and just how it enters and exits.

How do I select an animation for the transition between the two states?

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Hi Ben,

Well, I figured I'd throw this up here just to keep the conversation moving. This story doesn't use states or triggers, but does at least some of what you said, or at least my interpretation of what you said, which was: ...have a small image at the bottom hand corner of the screen and sometime during the slide, I would like that image to move to the middle of the screen without it jumping

And this sample is nothing special...just trying to think about this with you.

There's an object, an arrow, near the bottom right of the screen. At a specific time, the arrow appears to "move" to the middle of the screen and partially hides behind a box.

So, there are actually 4 arrows, all the same size.

Arrow 1 has a fade out animation. Arrows 2 and 3 have fade in and fade out animations. Arrow 4 has a fade in animation.

When should the arrow begin to move? I decided arbitrarily at 5.5 seconds. So Arrow 1 is on the timeline from the get-go and stays there for 5.5 seconds.

Arrow 2 begins to fade in at 5.5 seconds and is on the screen for 1 second.

Arrow 3 begins to fade in at 6.25 seconds "             "              "

Arrow 4 begins to fade in at 7.25 seconds and stays on the screen.

Is that what you're trying to achieve? If not, perhaps as you suggest a Screenr would help. Or, you could upload your slide, show us what you have and explain what you're wanting to do. Or, someone else may already know what you want and post it here!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.