[DEMO] An "Icon-based" course

May 14, 2013

Hi,

I am a great fan of simple icons, one of the best resources I know both for use and inspiration is http://icons.mysitemyway.com/. I was recently asked by a client to create a course on Distributors/Channel Partners - the original base content was very "PowerPoint/Bullets" format.

I decided to try and build a course almost entirely built around icon-style images, and came up with this. Yes there are a few "words" in the course, but it is a completely different type of product from the usual eLearning at this site, and much more the way that the company wants to be moving. I have had to de-brand it obviously, so there are a few small anomalies.

Just 3 slides, but I hope it gives you some ideas. I was very pleased to find a way that the trucks could deliver goods

Bruce

12 Replies
Mayra Aixa Villar

Just love these infographic-style presentations!

I worked on a similar project. Instead of creating a traditional eLearning course, I designed an explanatory brief video that included mainly graphic visual representations of the information. I think that this is a great way to facilitate the understanding of complex and/or abundant data. So, Kudos to the idea, Bruce!

El Burgaluva

"Hello. My name's Leslie and I'm an icons (and fonts) addict."

As Colin points out, Bruce, there's a real "crispness"/"cleanness" to this excerpt. I also agree with Phil that the movement works extremely well. I like it a lot; thanks for sharing.

Oh, and thanks for sharing the link, too. ("Okay, external hard drive... don't you dare try and tell me ya cannae take any more!")  

Bruce Graham

Thanks for all the comments.

One of the points I guess I was trying to make is that an illustrator can produce anything for your courses.

I think mine took 4 hours at £20ph to produce these - so for an extra £80 I've got a product that COMPLETELY fits my needs, to my design. There's tons of people out there trying to make a bit extra who are GREAT illustrators, and IMHO it's completely worth it in the right situation.

I've also got a set of icons to use elsewhere

Bruce

Sophia Xu

Great idea Bruce. I did something similar before. That was built in Articulate Studio.

One small suggestion:

The icons are very cute. So, I wonder another font (may hand write) may work with the icons better. Also, the background seems like too busy for me. A clean background will make the icons stand out more.

Thank you

Sophia

Bruce Graham

Sophia Xu said:

Great idea Bruce. I did something similar before. That was built in Articulate Studio.

One small suggestion:

The icons are very cute. So, I wonder another font (may hand write) may work with the icons better. Also, the background seems like too busy for me. A clean background will make the icons stand out more.

Thank you

Sophia

Thanks for your comments Sophie.

Agree re the background. I could use a hand dawn-font in this demo, but not for the actual course, needed to be clear for 18-langage rollout, but agree could look great for this example.

Thanks

Bruce

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.