Moodle and Articulate?

Jun 04, 2013

Hi,

I've seen many mentions of Moodle on this forum.  If you've used Moodle, what is your experience?  Do you find that you have trouble using Moodle with Articulate?  What are your general impressions of Moodle?

Thanks!

8 Replies
Leah Hemeon

Hi Heidi,

We've been using Moodle as our LMS for about 2300 employees since early last year. We've been very pleased with it but your experience will depend on what you're looking for in an LMS. We were solely looking for a better way to deliver eLearning content. We export all results out of Moodle and keep them in our separate employee information system.

We use Articulate Studio '09, Adobe Captivate (4/5/and 6), and Articulate Storyline to create content and deliver it all using Moodle. Moodle 2.4 and 2.5 have some great updates. One drawback of Moodle is that it is only SCORM 1.2 compliant. They have decided to abandon attempts to gain SCORM 2004 compliance due to the complexity and ongoing funding issues for that initiative. We have found SCORM 1.2 more than sufficient for our reporting needs.

I'm not sure what specifically you're trying to find out about Moodle but there are a plethora of articles, blog posts, and forums that discuss it in detail.

Good luck!
Leah

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Daniel,

It sounds like you're running into a problem with one of your quizzes - and if you're hosting in an LMS you may want to begin by reviewing the troubleshooting steps here including testing the course at SCORM Cloud as well. You may also want to review the information in regards to support browsers here for Studio '13. 

Daniel  Feerst

I have not had any problem with LMS's and this course until this use with
Moodle. Tests out in SCORM Cloud, so I am trying TIN CAN api. Is it true
that Articulate and Moodle when using ipad or mobile device to have problems
with tests/quizzes?

Catalog: www.eaptools.com/1.pdf

Daniel A. Feerst, MSW, LISW-CP, Publisher
DFA Publishing and Consulting, LLC & WorkExcel.com
P.O. Box 2006
Mount Pleasant, SC 29465-2006
(843) 884-3632; FAX (843) 884-0442
publisher@workexcel.com

Hi Daniel,

First, I wanted to let you know that when you reply via email your signature is included here and you're welcome to edit it and remove if you'd like. 

If your LMS requires that users log in (most do) and you're publishing for mobile deployment in the app, you'll want to publish for Tin Can API as described here.  If it's a recent issue with Moodle you may also want to reach out to them directly. 

Daniel  Feerst

I need to know the answer to this question, if you have it Yes, or No.

Does Moodle REQUIRE Tin Can API when Articulate Presenter is being used
and mobile devices are being used by learners and an LMS with Moodle is
where
the program is being hosted. AND...the iOS and Android Articulate Mobile
box is checked?

Hi Daniel,

I wouldn't want to speak to the specifics of Moodle and their requirements, you'd want to connect with them for a guarantee of an answer. 

If Tin Can API support is available for your LMS and you need to track results for learners who'll be using the Articulate Mobile Player app, then you should publish for Tin Can API.

You could always publish without the option for the mobile player app and allow the user to access the HTML5 version of the course, published using one of the SCORM options instead of Tin Can. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.