How to HIDE the NEXT button till timeline ends.

Jun 17, 2013

Hello All,

I have a number of slides with NEXT buttons.

I've then set a variable of true/false to the slide which changes to true once the timeline ends

Then set a trigger for the slide to advance when the learner hits the NEXT button ONLY on the condition that the variable is true. 

In other words the NEXT button will only work at the end of the timeline (want to make sure learners actually view the content). But the problem is the NEXT button shows throughout the slide. I don't want this.

What I would REALLY like is the NEXT button to hide till active/variable true. 

Can I do this and if so how??

10 Replies
Claire Burbridge

Sara Reller said:

I haven't managed to hide it but I have managed to deactivate it until the timeline ends. It can be a little frustrating to users to see it and not be able to click it but if you don't want to create your own buttons that's one way to work around it.

Hello Sara,

Thanks for that. Yeah I was deactivating the NEXT button till the timeline ended but as you say with the button still there for the learner to see but not active it would get frustrating especially with no visual queue to let them know when the button IS active.

Thanks to everyone for your reply. Greatly appreciated.

Claire Burbridge

Steve Flowers said:

Hmm... This is *possible* though not reliable. There is a hack that will enable you to hide / deactivate the next button as well as prevent scrubbing. This won't work in HTML5 outputs and may not work reliably in some browsers. Are you looking to deploy exclusively to the Flash-based output?

Hello Steve,

This option sounds a little messy and as you say unreliable by the sounds of it. Something that this training HAS to be.

Looks like I might have to stick with the whole 'create your own PREV & NEXT' buttons.

Thanks though

Claire Burbridge

Kate Hoelscher said:

Feature request!  (I believe I put one in a long time ago...but I wish for this on EVERY module I build!)  http://www.articulate.com/support/contact/submit.php?form=feature

Hello Kate,

Feature request done. Thanks for that. I'm new to this so wouldn't have thought to submit that.

Here's hoping it makes the cut.

Regards, Claire

pal kum

Claire Burbridge said:

Hello All,

I have a number of slides with NEXT buttons.

I've then set a variable of true/false to the slide which changes to true once the timeline ends

Then set a trigger for the slide to advance when the learner hits the NEXT button ONLY on the condition that the variable is true. 

In other words the NEXT button will only work at the end of the timeline (want to make sure learners actually view the content). But the problem is the NEXT button shows throughout the slide. I don't want this.

What I would REALLY like is the NEXT button to hide till active/variable true. 

Can I do this and if so how??

Is this possible now in patch/updated software? Kindly let me know soon

Kate Hoelscher

As far as I am aware, it is still the same case.  I believe they don't see it as a bug because learning should be open and learner driven.  That said, I believe it is a huge need - many of us just don't have that as an option.  I've always used on-screen navigation with Storyline.  It does give me more control, as I can then require the learner to take action on a slide and have the next button not appear until they do what I want them to (that sounds a little ominous!!).

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.