Conditional endings in a branched simulation

Bianca Woods

2 posts

Posted Thursday, August 01, 2013 at 1:17 PM  

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using a tool other than Storyline to build a branched scenario, but the software I'm using isn't performing as expected and I'm looking for other options. In order to build a business case for switching to another piece of software I need to confirm that Storyline can do the type of branching that my project needs. That's where I was hoping to get your insight.

My project is a set of branched scenarios that simulate the player having a conversation with another person. The player gets to choose dialogue from a series of choices, and the story branches based on what they said.

Here's a map of the branching of one of the scenarios (the dark blue boxes represent end screens):

As you can see, on the far left path (the "best" path) there is one section where a choice can result in one of two endings. I want the user to see one screen (represented by the purple box) if they made all the best conversation choices with no mistakes. If they made some errors but managed to get back on to the good path, I want them to see a different end screen. In the software I'm currently using, this branching is created using a long "if___, then___" statement tied to only having progressed through the screens in the best path.

My question is this: can I achieve this same functionality in Storyline, either through a similar "if__, then___" setup, or through some other means?

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have about this!

This post has 0 verified answers

All Replies

User Rank Tom Kuhlmann

661 posts

Posted Thursday, August 01, 2013 at 1:25 PM  

Seems doable. 

Essentially you link them based on choices.

Then use variables to track where they go and how they got to the end.

On the final slide you could have a series of layers that display based on the path they took. The variables would know which layer to display.

User Rank David Anderson

2,871 posts

Posted Thursday, August 01, 2013 at 1:28 PM  

Hi Bianca - it looks like you're not using scoring or points to branch learners through the various slides and paths. Can you confirm you're not using scoring and only branching based on current decisions? Or is there a scoring component also present?

Bianca Woods

2 posts

Posted Thursday, August 01, 2013 at 1:54 PM  

David: I'm definitely not using scoring or points.

Currently the player clicks on a box that contains the dialogue choice they want. This box is hyperlinked to the appropriate next screen.

User Rank David Anderson

2,871 posts

Posted Friday, August 02, 2013 at 8:14 AM  

Hi Bianca,

Thanks for clarifying the points. That means things are even easier I'm attaching the template I created in Storyline. Using your colors and the sim map, I recreated everything your map showed.

You have a few ending slides (red) that say "Go to slide 20". I didn't know if those were the same slide or new slides so I created new ones. Minor detail that we can fix easily.

Can you take a look at the file and see if it helps? I also put a Screenr together for you to show you how I created it.

Gotta say that your sim map is really well done. I was able to follow everything easily because of your color system. I'm a big fan of prototyping like that so this really worked well for me!

David

simulation-map-v2.story
User Rank David Anderson

2,871 posts

Posted Friday, August 02, 2013 at 9:55 AM  

Just wanted to add that the variable example is only built out on the first slide. The first slide evaluates the current points when the learner clicks the Next Button. Based on the point value, the learner is branched to one of three slides. That's as far as that example goes. If you have more questions around how it works, let us know and we'll put some more together.