What are your best shortcuts, tricks, tips in Storyline?

Sep 12, 2013

Now that many of you have been using Storyline for a while, I wanted to take a survey of what you feel are the best shortcuts, tips, and tricks, or best features (other than the obvious triggers and states).

For example, it is really cool that you can save time by using the format tool to format multiple triggers and states quickly. Also I think using the Lightbox feature to create a course resource on the menu is also very nifty. The built-in templates are great for saving time when creating quizzes and interactions.

What are some of your secret tips you can share that has made your Storyline development experience even better?!

Thanks.

Michelle

15 Replies
Nancy Woinoski

Hi Michelle, this is such a big topic I wouldn't even know which ones to list here so my tip is to check into the community blogs on a regular basis at:

http://community.articulate.com/blogs/  

There are all kinds of tips and tricks on offer as well as access to a bunch of free templates and resources.

I would also suggest becoming an active member of this forum because lots of great tips and examples are posted here every day.

Sheila Bulthuis

I LOVE the Translation>Export function.  I haven't actually used it for translation, but it's been very handy when I'm finalizing a long course and want to do a cleanup for grammatical consistency, consistency of capitalization, etc. (often necessary when several people have contributed and/or we've worked on it over a long period of time).  Just export, do a find/replace in Word, and import back in! 

Nancy Woinoski

Sheila Cole-Bulthuis said:

I LOVE the Translation>Export function.  I haven't actually used it for translation, but it's been very handy when I'm finalizing a long course and want to do a cleanup for grammatical consistency, consistency of capitalization, etc. (often necessary when several people have contributed and/or we've worked on it over a long period of time).  Just export, do a find/replace in Word, and import back in! 

Hey Sheila this is a great tip.  I've only used it for translations but I can see how this would be really useful for cleaning up spelling and grammar especially in projects that have a lot of hidden text, marker text and states.  

Steve Flowers

A few trigger tips:

1) One of the things that folks might not get right away is the use of "dummy shapes" to carry logic or as a function. Let's say you needed to track how many objects have been hovered over and change the state of another object when ALL of the objects have been hovered.

• You could do this with variables. It makes more sense to use shape states for something that isn't going to need to be used on more than one slide. [[[Rule of thumb.]]]

So by creating dummy shapes off of the stage with a default state of hidden, you can trigger to show a correlating dummy shape when an object is hovered. Now you can use a "listener" trigger to make something else happen when ALL of your dummy shapes are showing. Neat way to cascade actions.

2) Another neat use of dummy shapes is to contain triggers within the shape. So let's say you want to execute a heap of triggers at once and be able to execute those again and again on call. You could put all of the triggers in a layer, but that's not portable and might cause other issues. You could put them all on an object. Give the object a default state of hidden. Add a trigger at the end of the stack within the shape to hide the shape. Now, when you trigger to show the shape, every single trigger will execute. When it's done the shape will hide, making it primed to execute again.

Depending on the triggers, you can copy a heap of triggers between slides if they are attached to an object. Triggers that target layers or shapes that aren't copied at the same time will break. But it's easier to setup trigger connections to objects than it is to create from scratch.

3) Copy a trigger to the clipboard. Now select multiple shapes on your current layer and paste. That trigger is copied and pasted to every object.

Daniel Brigham
  • using button sets (quick way to give shapes button-like characteristics)
  • keyboard shortcuts, esp. control J (insert pic), control T (insert texbox), control F12 (preview slide) in addition to all the standard ones. See keyboard shortcuts
  • hide and lock feature on the timeline (yeah, more a feature, but man do I love it)
  • most of all though, I did the community. Storyline ain't about software.
Nancy Woinoski

Kate Hoelscher said:

Nancy Woinoski said:

Nicole Legault said:

I love the "Lorem Ipsum" shortcut when I need to add filler text. Typing =lorem() in a text box will fill the box with dummy text!

I just tried this tip and it didn't work for me. ( sad face)

Hit enter twice after typing it?

Thanks Kate, I tried it in a new project and it worked but still does not work in the older project I was initially working with. Interesting.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.