What would you do with this question?

Jun 29, 2011

I am trying to find a good way to present this question in Quizmaker. It is written as a Matching Question; but the matching question type makes the learner scroll too much - due to the large amount of text in the options. Any ideas?

Match the lesion diagnosis with the history and physical findings listed:

A.      Hemangioma

B.      Venous Malformation

C.      Lymphatic Malformation

D.      Venular Malformation

E.       Arteriovenous Malformation

1.       Red Purple stain present at birth, usually progressive darkening without treatment, can involve skin/tissue thickening, possible cobblestoning

2.       Color can vary from none to deep blue/purple, compressible, progressive growth with exacerbations during hormonal changes, fills with dependency.

3.       Red or hypopigmented stain at birth, rapid growth in the first few weeks – months of life, bleeding ulceration possible, begins involution after 1yr of age and does not regrow

4.       Variable presentation at birth or early childhood, progressive growth with eventual tissue destruction and bleeding, warm/pulsatile lesion on palpation, frequently with indistinct borders

5.       Usually obvious at birth with mass effect, color ranges from none to bluish, progressive growth with exacerbations during infection, noncompressible, mucosal surfaces may have vesicles.

Correct answers – A=3, B=2, C=5, D=1, E=4

thanks!

3 Replies
David Anderson

HI Catherine-

Are you using visuals with your quiz? At first glance, this reminds me of the Art History example: http://community.articulate.com/blogs/elearning-examples/archive/2011/02/14/art-history-quizmaker-example.aspx

Rather than placing all five choices on the slide and their definitions, you could ask one question:

"Which legion has red purple..." and show all five legions with radio buttons. So in the Art History example, the question was "Which painting is titled..." and three paintings were shown with radio buttons.

You could also reverse it by asking "Which legion has red purple..." and then listing all five legions. That's probably more common than using visual quizzes.

Is there a single characteristic of each legion you could use in place of the full definition? If you want the matching activity, maybe a key word or two for each legion would work and then include the full definition as part of the feedback.

Kayla Burtch

Further to David's example,

You could also present it as a situation. The patient/client comes in, describes their legion and then the "doctor" (student) must decide which of the five legions (multiple choice) the client is describing. Either the student could volunteer all of the information immidiately, OR it could be asked by the student like in the diagnosis example with the animated patients. I wish I could find the example I'm thinking of. (I can never find examples I'm thinking of, I need to find a better way to save them)

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.