How to import Engage 13 to storyline

Oct 03, 2013

I'm triying to import an Engage interaction to storyline, but storyline send me an error of compatibility 

What can I do?

(I'm using Studio Pro 13)

81 Replies
Rebecca Dutton

I just bought engage'13 with the assumption that it can import into Storyline.  I'm confused because on there is an option on the start menu that says Import from Engage.  When I tried to import from the trial version it said that I couldn't import from the trial.  Why is there an option on the start menu if you can't import.  Is there a way to merge my engage projects into one?  In Presenter maybe?  

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Rebecca! The option exists in Storyline because you can import from Engage '09. Currently you cannot import from Engage '13, but it will be available in a future Storyline Update. You can still use your Engage if you would like to add it as a web object, or you could put multiple Engage Interactions into Presenter as well.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Lou,

Our team is working on making the import functionality part of a future Storyline update, but in the meantime you could use the method mentioned by Leslie to add it as a web object. Additionally, you can download Studio 09 here.  Studio 09 and Studio 13 may not run on the same computer, but you could set them up on say a desktop and a laptop, or use a virtual machine to run one in. 

Harry Carter

Is the survey here because it's evident that you can't get Storyline to import with a quick fix???

In my opinion, both pieces of software are very important and being able to use them together is MORE important.

Why? Because, in a nutshell, Storyline is great for telling stories and Presenter (Engage and Quizmaker) is great for stating the facts.

If one is working with a bunch of facts, it's silly to create a bunch of "scenarios" sometimes, to relay these facts, IMO. But sometimes it's nice to take a break from all the rigidity and animate, etc.

Bottom line I think is... "Why didn't this work before you unleashed new software?"

Regards,

Harry

Hi Fabio and welcome to Heroes! 

You mentioned downloading the trial of Engage 09, did you already have Studio 13 on your computer? You can only have one version on a computer (although you could host one in a virtual machine and then one on your local machine). You'll also want to ensure that both the Engage 09 file and your Storyline file are on a local drive while you're editing. If you're still having difficulty can you share the Engage interaction file here with us? 

Rebecca Dutton

I have imported the Engage '13 files into Storyline as the directions stated and the engage files work on most of the computers we have tried but not on others.  We have updated Flash, the internet browsers and shockwave but the engage files are still not working while the rest of the course works fine.  What am I missing?  I don't have an extra computer to try the Engage '09 option.  If I were to do this would the Engage '13 files work in '09 or will I need to rebuild them?  

Hi Rebecca,

What's different between the computers where the Engage files work and those that don't? Also, are you testing the published version of these within the intended environment? Testing it locally could be what is causing the problem.  If you're testing it within the publish environment and it's still inconsistent across computers, please let us know a bit more about what you've tried (browsers, flash, where it's hosted, etc.) and if you could share the Storyline course with us as well we can take a look.

Engage '13 files won't work within Engage '09, so you'd need to rebuild them. 

Rebecca Dutton

Thanks!  I was sharing it as a zipped filed and that was the problem... not that it is hosted on a website it seems to be working.  I think we have gotten some of this figured out!

One other question about improrting- the audio in the engage files that has been imported starts early- before the used reaches the slide and then overlaps.  I saw some other post about this with quizzes and layers but for me this is happening between separate slides (that have imported Web objects.  Could someone take a look at it for me?  Thanks!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.