Page 2 of 2 (38 items)

Have you seen a really cool software simulation?

Jenny Wang

35 posts

Posted Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 12:09 PM  

Hi, all

We've used Captivate or Articulate Presenter to create all of our software simulations (demos with screenshots). It's Okay, but not cool and modern. The screenshots pace is a bit slow, and the captions to explain the screenshots are a bit boring as well. After a few screenshots, the training get a little boring and tedious.

Have you seen any really cool, sharp, and modern software simulation? I'd appreciate if you could share any.

Thank you.

This post has 3 verified answers

Verified Answers

User Rank Nancy Woinoski

3,533 posts

Posted Friday, July 01, 2011 at 12:35 PM  

Verified Answer

Hi JV - you could try using Camtasia  by Techsmith.   It has really cool pan and zoom features. It outputs video. 

We have an old post on our Pinched Head blog that uses in in a demo (it is not a slick production but will give you a sense of how the tool works).

http://pinchedhead.com/blog/?p=180

Kristen Hull

96 posts

Posted Friday, July 01, 2011 at 12:50 PM  

Verified Answer

Re: Captivate 4

Hmmm, I have used both versions but I can't  completely remember what Captivate 4 was like!  (My brain must have deleted that stuff when it made room for the new version).  I'm pretty sure? that you could do all that you have listed back then.  The big change was the interface overhaul and then a bunch of other fancy items: http://www.cpguru.com/2010/05/04/adobe-captivate-5-the-new-features/

They do live training sessions now and all the previous sessions have been recorded (they are near the bottom of the page I am linking below).  Although the GUI will be different, it might give you ideas for improvement.  I pick something up every session I attend (and Vish and Pooja who teach make me laugh!)

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/event/index.cfm?event=list&loc=en_us&type=online_event&product=Captivate&interest=&audience=&monthyear=

All Replies

Jenny Wang

35 posts

Posted Tuesday, July 05, 2011 at 1:06 PM  

Hi, Dan

I appreciate you taking the time testing how Screenr Mp4 worked with Captivate. It seems to me our SMEs have to be really good in both presentations and voice over, in order for us to re-use it.

Let me pose this question: If most of the SMEs are good at presentations and voiceover with Screenr, will they do away with our eLearning developers?

Robert Kennedy

407 posts

Posted Tuesday, July 05, 2011 at 1:22 PM  

Love the soapbox stuff Dan.  I too have ScreenFlow.  In actuality, the Mac version of Camtasia and Screenflow are VEEERY similar.  A lot of nice features in each.

Dan Rollins

33 posts

Posted Tuesday, July 05, 2011 at 1:41 PM  

So Robert... is the Mac Camtasia & Windows Camtasia different??? (besides the Mac versions crashes less

JW, YES.. we are dispensable heroes :) SME's will one day rule the world... muuauauauahahahaha!

Robert Kennedy

407 posts

Posted Tuesday, July 05, 2011 at 1:46 PM  

Dan, yes the Mac & Windows versions are definitely different.  Why?  Not really sure.  They don't even LOOK the same.  The project file extensions are different.  They run on different engines.  Yip, pretty different.  There are some things that the Windows version does as far as how it handles zooming and transitions that the Windows version does that the Mac doesn't and vice versa.  Like I said, the Mac version is actually VERY similar to Screenflow.

To join in with JW on the evil side here though, answer this question, how many SME's ARE actually good at presentations and voiceover?? ZINGGGGGG!!! lol.  Ok, ok, ok, ok, yah, yah, yah, you do drive the content, but STILL!!

Jenny Wang

35 posts

Posted Tuesday, July 05, 2011 at 1:59 PM  

To continue the "evil" side of the discussion, the Adobe TV tutorials are hosted by SMEs who are both knowledgeable and polished speakers.

Dan Rollins

33 posts

Posted Tuesday, July 05, 2011 at 2:00 PM  

Robert.. that is very strange that they would be so different. I would think the Windows version would try to be just like Screenflow since there isn't much competition on the Windows side.

And good question about the SME stat's.. I would be curious too!!! Then when the SME's take over the instructional design... the "old" ID's can send THEM emails saying.. I have a really simple change, should take long. Can you just take that one word out from the narration of slide 71 and then make the % sign bigger on slide 81, oh then I prefer all the font to be Comic Sans size 19. And can you add page numbers to every slide. Oh.. more bullets please. I like at least 10 per slide. Oh... too many images, can you the Beanies from the Office clipart library? They are very effective... OHH.. and can you also.....

AARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Dan Rollins

33 posts

Posted Tuesday, July 05, 2011 at 2:00 PM  

J W said:

To continue the "evil" side of the discussion, the Adobe TV tutorials are hosted by SMEs who are both knowledgeable and polished speakers.

Those are the new Hybrid SME's home grown by Adobe

Page 2 of 2 (38 items)