New Browser Window Properties, Scrollbars, Internet Explorer

Oct 15, 2013

I'm trying to get horizontal and vertical scrollbars in the new IE browser window. I've tried all the combinations of settings (I think), but can't get it to work. I get scrollbars in Chrome, but not Firefox or IE 8 or 10. I'm mostly interested in IE since this is the corporate standard.

Is there a workaround, perhaps using a web object?

17 Replies
Sajna Thomas

Hi Leslie,

I just found new updates for Studio 360 today, so I republished the file. I have attached a video of what is happening. In it you will see that when I click on a hyperlink, the image opens correctly in a new window ( as I want) but it (new window) does not have scroll bars. The published output is viewed in IE the browser client also checks in.

Leslie McKerchie

Yup, that's what I was expecting to see. Seems like the way the browser behaves in IE11. I was hoping to find some documentation from Microsoft, but that's proving impossible.

This behavior does not occur in Edge either, the scroll bars are present as expected. Looks like you have some great instructions for the learners that run across this when zoomed. Is that causing an issue or were you just hoping for a consistent experience?

Leslie McKerchie

I understand Hassy.

We've also seen compatibility mode play an issue in viewing. 

Do you know if your LMS is forcing IE11 to open in compatibility mode? We've seen that a couple times recently and then the LMS is playing the course in an earlier version of IE which doesn't support HTML5 well. Is that something you could check with your LMS admin? 

In addition, the HTML5 capability in IE11 is not as extensive or up-to-date as other browsers, so that has to be considered as well.

Purvee Dave

I am trying to achieve the same e.g. create a custom pop-up window for .pdf file by using a trigger -" the Jump to File/URL" then I have selected - no browser controls and a custom window size.

When I've published, there is no issue with a Firefox because it resize function is enable! BUT with IE11, having an issue because resize function is disabled.

As James and Jerson have mentioned, I have tried to use following java-script but I have no luck! I have a feeling that i might be doing something wrong. Please need your assistance. Thanks in advance.

window.open("https://www.example.com","_blank","toolbar=yes, location=yes, directories=no, status=no, menubar=yes, scrollbars=yes, width=800, height=600");

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.