Cannot Preview, Publish or Change Player Settings

Nov 08, 2013

I have an Articulate Presenter course with Engage Interactions. I have been trying to work on my course all day and now it appears to be unusable. Whenever I try to preview the course I get a "we're sorry something went wrong with articulate presenter '13" error.

At first I thought the error was caused because I was adding audio; not that adding audio should cause errors, but it was the only change I had made to the course. Now I realize that the issue occurs any time I access an Engage Interaction from within the Articulate tab of PowerPoint. Emphasis on access, because it makes no difference whether or not I actually edit/save any changes to the interaction.

I have tried this with all my backups of the course, so now they are all giving the same error. Each time I opened a course, I went to the Player option to see if I could access that, then I would try to Preview, and everything would be working fine. Then I would access one of the Engage Interactions. Again, whether I made a change to the interaction or not, when I returned to PowerPoint and tried to Preview, access Player settings or Publish I'd get the error "we're sorry something went wrong with articulate presenter '13."

I need to know how to fix this. There's no good reason for this to be happening, unless the software is just faulty.

30 Replies
Antonio A

Hi,  I am getting the error "we're sorrysomething went wrong with articulate presenter '13..."  It´s happening when trying to publish different PowerPointfiles. I have tried to copy different PowerPoint filesto my local C:/ and publish from there and doesn´t work neither.

I think it was last week whenarticulate´s software asked me to update to version 4.01.000 and I did,but yesterday I was publishing my PowerPoint courses without any issue.

Trying to solve the problem I have foundnext link (for storyline, but I have tried it in Articulate 13): http://www.articulate.com/support/storyline/how-to-repair-articulate-storyline

but when trying to repair or run thesetup again the installation file themessage below is popping.

All of the next conditions (posted by Perter Andersonhere http://community.articulate.com/forums/p/31492/170292.aspx#170292)are met in my files:

• Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on anetwork drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including filecorruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 
  • You should also make sure the directory path to yourproject files and your published output is less than 260 characters (forexample C:\Articulate).
  • Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols inyour file names.

Should I  reinstall the trial version of articulate and activate it again with my serial number

Thanks

Antonio A

Hi Leslie,

Thanks for your fast answer

I am working in C:/. I have repaired the Articulate 13 installation and it still happen.

It fails just with PowerPoint files that have audio and that I have never open before with Studio 13 (but with Studio 09). The error appears in the beginning of the publishing process.

Before updating to version 4.01.000 I was publishing my PowerPoint courses without any issue.

I have attached the error report that articulate sofware have given to me.

Thanks,

Antonio

Antonio A

Hi Leslie,

Thanks for  opening the support case.  Before reading your message, I have opened it myself and send the Package of one of the courses.

I have installed articulate in a new computer with windows 8 and PowerPoint 2010 and downloaded the articulate there, but the error still happening (my computer was running windows 7 and PowerPoint 2007).

As I mentioned before, it is curious that articulate is publishing right with files without  audio and files with audio but that have been published before  the downloading of the last articulate version, some days ago.

I hope to be able to make it work, because I have a project done next week and have 9 PowerPoint files that give me that error.

Do you know how long it could take for the support department  to look to my support case? I am really in rush with that project.

Thanks for all your help,

Antonio

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Vincent!

I took a look at the case that was filed previously, and there has been no further update since I last posted.

In Reva's case, this was the resolution:

The Engage interactions are re-linked by clicking the Edit in Engage button, and also saving as a new package creates a new PowerPoint/Presenter file, which can help resolve issues at certain scenarios. 

Please note, that another solution that was shared above is to conduct a repair of your software when experiencing unexpected behavior and be sure that you are working on your local drive.

If this does not help you, you may want to consider packaging your course and submitting it to us to have a look at.

Cindy Dries

I've been working on a course since November with no issues. Of course, tomorrow the course is due to publish to our LMS and now I'm receiving this error for the first time. I'm using Articulate Studio 13/Presenter 13. Suggestions? I have added several engage interactions since the last time I published so not sure where to start to troubleshoot.

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Cindy and welcome to E-Learning Heroes!

Sorry to hear about the trouble and bad timing - hopefully we can get this resolved for you quickly so you can meet your deadline.

There's been quite a bit of suggestions and discussion in this thread about the issue, so I apologize for repeating any information. It's important to ensure that some steps are taken to narrow down the issue. 

First, please make sure that you're working with local project files:

• Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 
  • You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).
  • Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names (this includes spaces and underscores).

Additional information regarding "Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces" in Windows operating systems can be found in the following Microsoft article.

Determine whether or not this is specific to a project, or if this happens with any project file.

Please try creating a new presentation with some placeholder slides an content - you won't need to build too much into the project. Please try to see if you're able to reproduce the issue with this new project. 

If you don't experience the same issues with a new project file, it may be project-specific and we'll need to take a look at the file. Please follow the steps in this article to create a Presenter Package and send it to us using this form. We'll try to take a look at the files and get back to you as soon as possible. 

If, however, you experience the same issues with a new file, it may be an issue with the installation of Studio '13.  

Please try repairing Studio '13:

Articulate Support - How to Repair Articulate Studio '13

If you're still experiencing these issues, please try the following troubleshooting steps:

Unexpected or Erratic Behavior in Articulate Studio

I know that's a lot of information at once. Please let us know how it turns out, or if you end up submitting a support case. We'd like to be able to share the solution here, just in case other community members experience the same problem.

Best,

Christine 

Nicole Naude

Hi Leslie, et al -

I've been experiencing the same issues in this thread across multiple files (and actually multiple Articulate licenses...) since April and have followed all steps noted in this thread, as well as those presented to me in support cases. I'm going to try to uninstall and reinstall my MS Office Suite to see if that resolves the issues. I wanted to know which, if any, of the steps mentioned in this article can be applied to Microsoft 2010. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nicole

Nicole Naude

Leslie - thank you. Yes, that was the article to which I was referring. I went through the steps today and all seemed well until the publish, where I got the error report again. The issue seems isolated for me now to the publish (I've only tried to publish for LMS), whereas before I wouldn't be able to upload audio, sync animations, edit slide properties, etc. Any news on other causes and fixes?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.