how to share projects with people outside of your computer network

Jul 15, 2011

Hello everyone,

We are in the process of creating 20 small courses, but we have people that need to review the courses that are not in our coporate computer network.  What programs or sites do you use to share and have people review courses?

Thanks for all the help. 

13 Replies
Mariano Aran

Hi Eric,

I use Dropbox, like many users here...  It's very easy to use and great for posting files for other people to access.  You can easily share a folder that can synchronized between several computers.  And best of all, IT'S FREE!

They give you 2GB FREE to start with and every time you invite someone they give you 250Mb more.

Here is an invite for you to try it:

----------------------------

Dropbox lets you bring all your photos, docs and videos with you anywhere and share them easily.

Get started here.

----------------------------

Jeanette Brooks

I second Mariano's recommendation for Dropbox! We use it all the time to share stuff.

What's cool is, you can use it to host published content, which is really nice, because then your reviewers don't need to download anything or unzip files, etc. Here's how it works: Once you install Dropbox, you'll have a folder called My Dropbox, and within it is a folder called Public. Place your published course in the Public folder, then right-click on player.html and choose Dropbox > Copy Public Link. That'll copy a unique URL to your clipboard, which you can then paste into a message to your reviewers. They can use that URL to launch your course from anywhere, as long as they have an internet connection.

Jeanette Brooks

Hi Richard - if you're publishing for web and then moving your entire folder of published output to your Dropbox/Public folder, this should work. Here's a recent walk-through that David did, which shows how to get your content into the right place: https://player.vimeo.com/video/149185910

Sometimes with Dropbox there is a little bit of a lag time for media and quizzes/interactions to load, since Dropbox isn't a true web server, and the content doesn't cache. So maybe you're just seeing a bit of a delay on these items?

Richard Sharples

Hi Jeanette - Thanks for your response, the issues isn't with published output but when we are passing packages from one colleague to another for amendment. I think I might have figured out the problem in that a colleague wasn't using File>Save & Send>Articulate Package in PowerPoint but was just Zipping it from their desktop.

Jeanette Brooks

Hey Nicole - yeah, when you publish, you end up with several files & folders in the published output... you should see a file called player.html, a data folder, and a player folder. All that stuff is needed in order to play your course properly. The file called player.html is the one that actually launches your presentation, but it relies on the content in the other files/folders too.

So, the best thing to do would be this: once you publish, find the folder that contains your published output, and copy that entire folder (without rearranging anything within it), and place it in your Dropbox/Public folder. Then, right-click player.html, choose Dropbox>Copy Public Link. That copies a unique URL to your clipboard. You can paste that URL into an email for your reviewers, and when they click it, they should be able to launch the course.

You can test it by pasting the URL into y our browser's address bar.

Hope that helps!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.