Lifesaver - Crisis Simulation App

Dec 03, 2013

Has anyone worked on anything similar to 'Lifesaver', a crisis simulator app?

It basically runs through CPR and how you can save a life.

It can be seen here:

https://life-saver.org.uk/

App is here:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/lifesaver-mobile/id633999639?mt=8

I've run through it as I've taken First Aid training and CPR training previously. It does teach me the same steps as I've trained before.

In the initial section with Jake you have a choice early on: Run to Help or Check for Danger.

That's exactly the path my training followed, although using a dummy which I can't identify with 100% is far different to the serious atmosphere of the game.

I look forward to any feedback from any E-Learning Heroes Community members for their ideas/comments on this.

Nicholas

4 Replies
Cary Glenn

That was an interesting lesson.

I have taught first aid for years and had to do CPR in real-life. This was a good addition to in-person training but wouldn't replace it.

Good points: reinforcing the message to help, call an ambulance, and get an AED. I liked how they simulated many of the steps and timed it to simulate the stress of performing in an emergency.

Cons: The repeated tapping of the buttons to simulate compressions, back blows, and abdominal thrusts wasn't realistic. It reminded me of playing "Decathalon" on my Apple2+ in the mid-80's.

I might have to try and do something similar.

Nick n/a

Thanks for your thoughts on it Cary,

Would you be building something similar then?

Personally I would consider linking this with an 'Oculus Rift' for full immersion experience.

Then you would actually 'experience the event'.

See 'Oculus Rift' example here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T4bmlCQS9c

Seeing it on a screen on a pc or smart phone doesn't have quite the same impact.

I know from my own weekly (martial arts) training that you need to build muscle memory and specifically drill/train the body to react immediately in a given situation. 

That's where the classroom/real life element comes into play.

Practicing physically on a dummy along with an experienced trainer to correct any errors was the course section I found most useful.

Of course I haven't performed CPR in real life as you have.

Does that fit into your own experience teaching First Aid where the Instructor is necessary?

I did use an Apple2 but that was back in Primary School.

(Don't remember Decathlon though but I will check it out...)

Nicholas

Cary Glenn

For me, developing a similar course would be an exercise in seeing how instructor-led and elearning differ, how one can support the other, seeing what I can do with Storyline, and as a portfolio piece.

I would change the order of the scenarios and probably make it more of a scenario based lesson. I wouldn't be able to do video, so I would use still images. (Video is expensive, I've worked in the industry before.)

You really do need the physical experience and hands-on practice to learn CPR. Elearning should be able to reduce the amount of time in class getting the knowledge and use the class time for hands on practice. I usually have at least 10 minutes of CPR in a class. Which is a long time to do CPR. But that gives me time to correct mistakes and that people get the idea on how exhausting CPR is to do. I too do martial arts (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) and I always have find it interesting the guys who come in to class and think they know how to grapple because they watch the UFC and have seen YouTube videos.

I work for a mobile crane company. We recently bought a crane simulator, 5 big screens, motion seat (like in the movie theatres), multiple adjustable scenarios. I'm thinking the Occulus Rift will replace the screens in a couple of years.

Nick n/a

I too do martial arts (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) and I always have find it interesting the guys who come in to class and think they know how to grapple because they watch the UFC and have seen YouTube videos.

Hi Cary,

I also do Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu as my main martial art.

(I'm at 4 stripes after 4 years. So working towards blue belt now.)

I agree with your point about people watching youtube videos and thinking they can perform techiques or movements.

I was talking with a purple belt on Monday and his advice was that reading books and videos made a big difference to his learning experience.

My attitude has been 'repeat, then repeat more, then get tapped out 1000 times and learn.'

I had my training with St. Johns Ambulance in the UK and I do remember we had to keep doing CPR until the intructor timed us out and was satisfied with our performance level.

The Occulus Rift does seem like a great alternative for screen and simulator replacements although I haven't actually heard yet of any companies actually using it in a training role for business yet.

I find it interesting you consider your company could switch away from large screens to the Occulus Rift.

I'm only aware of the potential of the device rather than its application in training departments at the present.

With regards to using images for effective video I found this example of a webcomic that uses images and voiceover in the form of a video that proves pretty effective for the reader/viewer IMHO.

See example here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Obm0rHYlY

Nicholas

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.