Time increase creating richer content

Jan 16, 2014

Our online school currently does not use Storyline and to help make this decision, I would like some feedback from users.  I realize this is an unfair question but wanting a bit of a guess on how much longer it takes to shift from creating text based web pages containing graphics and the occasional video to creating content which covers the same learning outcomes with Storyline where the latter is more interactive, students hear their instruction and are required to respond at various points.  

6 Replies
Jeffrey Riley

I am going to say the time to learn Storyline will be much shorter than any other system out there. I have a back ground in developing training using word processors that are now obsolete to using current tools and then using web based tools over the last 30+ years. I have used the Adobe Suite of development tools and I think they are excellent but they take months if not years to learn. Storyline takes more like weeks to learn but then you can continue to grow your skills with the tool.

Some of this also depends on your eLearning design background and instruction background. If you don't understand how media and text go together in ways that help people learn, you may need to learn that. I also think that interactive means we are getting the student to think, not just click objects that change or bring up new slides/layers. Does your content development include using scenarios that ask students to make decisions and then give them feedback? To me, all of that goes beyond just knowing a particular development tool.

All in all, I like Storyline better than anything I have ever used because it does let me create whatever I want in less time. I could not have said that two years ago when I started, but even then I was able to get my first projects up and going faster than other tools.

It will be interesting to read other replies, I hope there are a lot of them.

Jake Warkentin

Jeffrey, I value your experience in this field.  I agree with what you are talking about in regards to the requirement to think for student interaction.  That is what I was looking for as all content requires some levels of interaction but just clicking to move forward is not what I was thinking.  The part that I find most attractive to what you are saying is the scenario based approach.  I am also encouraged by your time optimism.

Steve McAneney

I budget 10 working days to complete a 15 minute e-learning. In this time I manage to do the below:

• Research and hand-write an outline of the content I want to include
  • Hand written storyboard
  • Rough and ready graphic production (simple modifications like removing backgrounds, colouring, cropping etc.)
  • Develop the e-learning with some (but not super) interactivity and self-recorded audio narration
  • Develop a quiz.

The finished result is, I think, useful from an learning perspective. It is a little rough around the edges, but I am not delivering it to clients, I am delivering it to our own staff (about 200).

Depending on what level of interactivity and slickness you want, I think you can start from 10 days and work up from there.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.